Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why move to NZ from US or UK?

BA is Bachelor of Arts - humanities and social sciences. Mine's in Communications.

jawnbc - love your post.

Thanks Dell!

Default For Hagabel..more info

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    We moved after 20 years in the USA, did not like where the country is headed, and the brainwashing of my kids back there!
    We have been here 20 months and really like it. Kids can be kids, better(although less formally structured) school system, more daily physical activities and kids involved in a lot more sports.
    People are really friendly and don't care how big your house is, what car you drive etc. Beautiful scenery, working less hours( more work life balance), more vacation and although pay is less, conditions are better.
    I am where you were re: not liking the way country is going and I've always thought of nZ. I am an acute care NP..I bet they don't utilize np's. How is life and work as an rn? I have one in his senior year of HS. The other is grown and probably would come too. Can you tell me more about the move and working as rn and the needs there?
    Thanks Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrack View Post
    I am where you were re: not liking the way country is going and I've always thought of nZ. I am an acute care NP..I bet they don't utilize np's. How is life and work as an rn? I have one in his senior year of HS. The other is grown and probably would come too. Can you tell me more about the move and working as rn and the needs there?
    Thanks Denise
    I do believe there are only 1 or 2 NP's here and I have seen them employed by Radius medical. We have CNS's here but very limited roles clinically. I work ED and also Anaesthesia clinic and enjoy both jobs. No one will sue you! I also volunteer for ambo with St Johns. Pay is crap compared to US but conditions are waay better. My kids were 4/6 when we loved and assimilated very quickly. Not sure exactly what info you would like. Why don't you ask me specific questions and I will try and answer them.

I moved here about a year and a half ago and I love it. In my case the grass was greener although I had a very good life in the U.S. For me it's about the country and the people and the culture. I can do things here in Auckland that was inconvenient to do in the U.S. Like horseback riding or having a good walk by the beach or going for a good walk in nature.

I also didn't like where the U.S. Is going politically and culturally. The crime is out control and politically it's run by criminals who have sold out the American people for the biggest dollar amount. Corruption is everywhere but here there is greater accountability and responsibility.

For me I was able to reboot my life and I'm happier for it. I will say this though in that New Zealand as a whole is expensive and if you are poor where you come from there is a good chance you'll be poor or poorer here, third world and developing nations excluded. To buy my house in Auckland I liquidated almost all of my assets and retirement accounts so I could get what I wanted and a monthly amount I could afford. It was a gamble and I'm hoping and betting that it pays off.

Whores. It's the whores that did it for me. Illegal in the States and the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by swearwolves View Post

Quote Originally Posted by swearwolves View Post
    Best comment in this entire thread.

I love wet back stoves, rainwater tanks, people who keep a few sheepies and raise a few veggies. Give me a choice and I'd much rather have fresh fruit, veg, meat, dairy be relatively cheap as compared to consumer goods.

My particulars. Retired. Raised in California. PhD in geography. Love the out of doors, gardening, water, mountains. No interest in fashion; like earthy people. Spent 15 years in Western Australia. Spent many years in New England (too much snow, too cold). Have also lived in Germany, Austria, Colorado, Taiwan, Brazil . . . and spent time in various other places. Now living in Florida.
    California is too expensive and the divide between rich and poor is too great. So much emphasis on trendiness. Summers are too dry and I worry about drought. Regulations are crazy (getting a building permit may mount up to $US100k).
    Florida is too hot, too flat, and too many mosquitoes . . . several months of the year you don't want to go outside. Not to mention Mickey Mouse and Bible thumping culture.
    Europe . . . in general, too culture-bound, land is too expensive, claustrophobic.
    Oz is too flat, too dry, and decent soil is hard to find. Lots of poisonous snakes, ticks, spiders, etc. that are a danger to my dogs. Drought a big worry in some parts.
    New Zealand: Second only to Norway in coastline/capita, but vastly better climate: easy to find areas where you can grow citrus, but in summer don't require air conditioning to sleep without sweating. Geologically young, hence has some topography and not a lot of swamp, also good soil isn't hard to find. Generally low in biological menaces. Not to mention loads of beautiful landscape.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast