Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you do a 16 month in post?

Default Can you do a 16 month in post?

I mean it's normally 12 and 18 etc but i feel the need to unburden on my captive audience

Yes! Your audience is waiting........

Altogether now... Why are we waiting? Why-y are we waiting?

guess i'd better make a start on my novel then

You owe us a rundown on your rarotonga trip too

Go, go, go......we're ready but be quick or I'll sneak our 1 year, 11 and 1/2 months
    post in !

C'mon! C'mon! I want to know!!!!

I am positive there's nothing in the board rules and regs about 16 month posts being forbidden!

You do it first, then if the thread gets locked, you are never heard from again and your username is mysteriously wiped and blocked from reuse then you'll know I was wrong

Go on, appetite thoroughly wetted. Give me 5 to make a coffee and find the Squiggles!

Waiting with bated breath (so don't keep me waiting too long okay, I might just turn blue !) !

Cheers,
    Silver

Overall, I’d say that everyone is a lot happier here than when we lived in the UK. We spent 5 years talking about and planning the move and then consequently making it happen in a very short space of time. Looking back, we must have been mental and I marvel when I read my old posts on here from recce until now. I think at times, I was mentally unhinged but aiming for a goal and we’re some of the lucky ones that have actually achieved it. So what’s it like now that we have and real life is in play? We live in a house, go to work, come home, take holidays; all the things we used to do before moving here.

The UK

We keep trying to plan a trip to the uk to see everyone but always come up against the same problem: what else could you spend 15k on? Where would we go after we've seen everyone we want to see? is a holiday really a tour of peoples houses? It’s damn hard to reconcile and so still remains on the backburner yet physcologically very much at the forefront of our minds.
    Elaines’ sister got married a couple of weeks ago. I was at work having a beak at the photos on facebook when a rapid wave of emotion overcame me. Very unusual for me and caught me quite off guard.

The emigration "hole"

I've noticed many others have mentioned this and am not too sure where we fit in. we spend a lot of time discussing another move and can't quite decide whether were trying to fill that hole or wether we are learning from experience and attempting to refine our likes/dislikes. I do think that a big move seems easier in some ways than a 30-minute move up the road and I guess that's down to the benefit/pain equation.
    What does keep coming up is Australia. We have family in Brisbane and the weather there especially during our winter is a big pull. What to do? We get our IRRV next April and then 3 years later could take a less painful route as citizens but then we have to consider the ages of the kids and the fact they really like it here and have flourished as people. We go round in circles a bit about this one and wonder whether another summer here will make a difference to our thought process.

Consumerism

There isn’t a lot here. I’m not a shopping kinda guy but do miss the easy access to things. Elaine feels it more being of the female species and this comes back to the Oz idea. Could we get the best of both worlds?

Work life balance

It's still not right. I made a decision to move jobs based on the facts at the time: Elaine wasn't getting a lot of work in her casual position but has since acquired a fixed term contract so I'd like more family time and less of a commute as the financial considerations have changed. I like my new job, the clients are ace too but the sales people that I have to interact with are a weird bunch. Every week brings a battle and although my GM who I report directly to backs me, it can be mentally tiring and everyday Elaine thinks that she’ll be getting the call that I’ve walked. It’s nearly happened a couple of times but so far so restrained!

I’m heavily considering going to Uni next year to retrain as a teacher but will take a view after I’ve spent some time at my sons school to see what the job really entails. I think the old 9-3 with 13 weeks off a year is rather a simplistic view but I would like to give something back and feel fulfilled.

Weather and holidays

Winter is fierce. I don't think before moving here I've ever felt the cold quite like it. 1970's solutions now seem like wicked ideas and pride of engineering heating solutions is high on the conversational list.

We took an excellent holiday to Rarotonga last month and for the first time ever, went with another family. We had a fantastic time and the friendship we had before is still strong if not stronger than ever. And that’s the thing living here; you gotta get a break away in winter to keep sane. Then in summer, it doesn’t seem worthwhile going abroad as the weather is here which leaves you with few options in winter… Raro, Fiji, Northern oz etc. And believe me, its not cheap to take a family of 4 away in winter especially outside of term.

I guess having reread all this it looks a bit negative but this update is one of refinement. We’ve got all the cool things now.. More outdoors life, safer neighbourhood, good education for the kids so the things that need tweaking seem more prevalent. We’re also careful that any experiences good and bad aren’t always related to the fact we moved here. A lot of these things would be on the radar wherever we live, as we’re still the same people with the same outlook on life. The only difference now is that we don’t have a goal. Perhaps we should make a goal of not having one in order to live each day as happily as we can without having that inner fire of constant improvement burning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast