Thread: Music during open homes

Question Music during open homes

Those on the market or who have been to open homes, how many play music / have the telly or radio on, etc? I've never had any music or anything else on, but am wondering if it's appealing. I've usually found it a bit of an annoyance at homes I go to, but it's often been quite loud.

Thoughts?

interesting idea, ive never seen or heard anything either but for me personally, i'd quite like a bit of subtle background tuneage

I think subtle is the key, Neil. I saw a house about a month ago that had one of the local radio stations blaring out way too loudly. This was for a private viewing, too. Not a fan! I might try and get some spanish guitar or the like going for ours, though, it being a villa and all.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    ......it being a villa and all.
    ....maybe "The Ballad of Pancho and Lefty"...

My thought is that if there is music playing then they are trying to hide something. I would expect that the house suffered from road or industrial noise which the owners were trying to mask.

James demostrates the difficulty. there's always fors and againsts with everything on an open home. for every nice lemon tree there's someone who dislikes lemons etc

The trouble with playing music is that people's tastes vary so widely (even if they didn't get suspicious of the motives as James suggests). The very same music that might soothe or enthuse one visitor could set another's nerves on edge. There's no such thing as neutral music.

You could try one of those relaxation CD's, surf, forest rain or something. though the rain one would be bad if you have a leaky house

I've been to a few that had very low subtle music playing & set the mood nicely, I think in the right house it works as the house we were looking at was a bit swish so I think in yours it would suit well too

When selling our house we chose to not have music as we decided it was too easy to get it wrong and irritate people.

The best settings I've seen for open homes have been a nice fire on a cold winters day, or full open patio doors on a summers day, a place to sit and remove shoes and put umbrellas, any baking smell or subtle clean smell, (although smells are tricky too as I really dislike perfume smells and coffee smells, so there are bound to be people who dislike baking or clean smells), and places made as light as possible.

The worst - damp smells or dehumidifiers left out, wet dog smell or cats food bowls left out, half done washing up in the sink, a teenage boys room left 'as is' (topless posters, half made bed etc), a waterfall coming from the guttering and a very weedy garden. This were all in houses hoping to achieve prices of $750k and upwards.

Good luck - it's a tricky market to sell in, so any extra you can do will help.

Cheers

Tia