Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More choices on the horizon for NZ shoppers

Default Aldi

I always thought it was good for some cheap vino.

I'd shop there, with out any problemd

I actually like Pak'n Save! Am I not normal?

I like anywhere that I can save money, I think that makes us normal.

Bearing in mind I always went to Sainsburys in preference to anywhere else due to the fact I hated Asda/Morrisons as there were too many folk and kids running about for my liking.

Having been to Countdown and PaknSave so far on my adventure (oh and dont forget Warehouse) I did not bat an eyelid, felt quite at home in them, and thats from a self confessed shopping snob! Think I may just like it here....... . I think an Aldi would fit in quite nicely.

Not been to an "upmarket" food shop yet, and so far have not seen a compelling reason to do so. (remind me of that in a few weeks time when the novely has worn off!)

I was listening to an interview with the boss of P'n'S after the Australian takover of Foodtown (is it Progressive Group? I get lost with the 2 group names ) - he made the point about Aldi - their shops are SMALL - think about the size of P'n'S compared to one of the tiny Aldi units back in the UK - I think he quoted a tenth of the floor space. I think Diny is right - the only effect I can see it having is to get the big boys to buck their ideas up on pricing. It certainly won't have much of an effect for most people. Apparently they went into Australia with all guns blazing and have only captured 1.3% of the market (memory may be failing me on that exact figure), so don't get too excited about what they may do in NZ.

Tesco or Asda/Walmart would be the real pioneer in NZ - their size would make a few people nervous! I think it is the own brand goods that would frighten the existing players. As that interview pointed out - margins on NZ produced goods are not massive currently. They need to make certain margins to enter this market and that means squeezing NZ suppliers even more! The own brands can come in from producers worldwide in volume - then the old economies of scale will have an effect and you would see prices falling!

Any new competition is good though - don't get me wrong :P

Neil

I'm a self confessed Woolworths addict.

I absolutely loathe Countdown.
    Pak'n'save isnt much better.
    New World is too pricey.

Woolies strikes a happy medium...plus they pack your bags for you - and well....I just like that. Happy to pay for the priveledge.
    That said....Aldi would make a welcome change.

They have Aldi in the US too. I haven't seen them in Cali, but there are many in the Chicago area. They make you bring your own bags, or at least they did the last time I went, years ago. I'll shop there in a second if they have lower prices than anywhere else (I have a frugal streak a mile wide).

Aldi are a German company I believe. I can;t believe they shirk on quality that much.

My take on this, is I am not going to NZ for a shopping experience. I want a quick cheap weekly shop so I have spare money and time to enjoy with my kids.

Jo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12