Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More choices on the horizon for NZ shoppers

Default More choices on the horizon for NZ shoppers

If this is going to come off this will be good news.
    I have just spotted it on the news on ENZ.

One of the attractions of New Zealand for many migrants is its isolation. Another is its very small population.

Sitting in the South Pacific, boasting some of the planet's most spectacular scenery, and located a long way from trouble spots and leaking Soviet nuclear submarines, New Zealand is one of the remotest places on earth.

The country's remoteness and small population also lead to less desirable, if more mundane, consequences. One of these is the lack of choice in NZ supermarkets compared with larger countries.

For example, products you would probably take for granted, such as "low calorie baked beans" will either not be available in New Zealand or available only at a much higher price than normal baked beans. Try to get "no added salt baked beans" and you may truly struggle.

Migrants and New Zealanders alike will welcome the growing speculation that the huge German supermarket chain Aldi is to open stores in New Zealand. There are currently only two major supermarket chains in New Zealand. A third major competitor is likely to bring lower prices and a greater choice of products to New Zealand's shoppers.

Stuff reports today that Aldi has filed more than 100 applications to trademark its brands in New Zealand this year. The company now holds or has filed over 700 trademarks in New Zealand and last year it registered the domain name www.aldi.co.nz. Aldi opened its first Australian store in January 2001.

NZ SUPERMARKETS ARE JUST STARTING TO GO THE "WALMART" WAY AND ARE LOOKING AT OFFERING MORE AND MORE HOUSEHOLD ITEMS.

WHAT IS ALDI LIKE - ANY GOOD??

ONLY WENT IN ONCE AND THOUGHT IT WAS A BIT LIKE NETTO (SCANDINAVIAN FOR CR*P)

I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT IS GOOD TO WORK AT ALDI THOUGH (GOOD RATES OF PAY!)

I want into Aldi a couple of times before leaving the UK and would agree with baboonworld's view of it, at least as it has been implemented into the UK.

I didn't think that it would be possible to go much further downmarket than KwikSave, but Aldi seemed to have managed it.

In terms of range of supermarkets, I think that we cover most bases in NZ - PaknSav and SuperValue at the low end to Fresh Choice and Woolies/Foodtown at the other. Bringing in a new brand to slot in below PaknSav won't be very exciting for most people on the forum, I would guess.

Now if someone was to discover that the domain names tesco.co.nz or waitrose.co.nz had been registered I think that would be a different story... (If only).

Aldi is like netto with limited choices but relly good prices. Theres a lot of us in the UK that are well off enough to be scornful of this type of shop but having been on both sides of the fence with spending power I am not. Aldi will do well here and I for one will be interested to see how they get on.

Veronica

I agree with your comments wholeheartedly.

Their prices were very sharp, but the products were generally alien to what you would expect in a UK supermarket (which often comes down to branding etc) and the layout/fitout of the shop seemed very downmarket when you compared it to the Tescos down the road.

I'm sure that there are many in NZ who would welcome the chance to make their weekly housekeeping go further by shopping at an Aldi - I just don't think that many on this forum would be in that group. If there was we'd have had lots of praise for PaknSave in the various discussions which doesn't seem to have been the case.

"Shopping Experience" seems to be important for lots of people rather than just getting the cheapest prices, and whilst some would argue that you get better quality produce at the more upmarket shops, a can of Watties baked beans is the same regardless of whether it is bought from P&S or Foodtown. It's a common point of debate/discussion/arguement in our house - my OH hates P&S and won't go in. I'll go wherever I can get an item the cheapest. I'm not proud!

I for one would be thrilled if Aldi open up in NZ. I usually do my weekly shopping in Tesco but I hold my hand up and admit that when the housekeeping is getting abit thin on the ground I've been to Aldi.

I agree that the presentation is abit 'stack them high sell them cheap' and there's brands that I've never heard of - but so what?

I have to say that Aldi's cream of tomato soup is far 'souperior' to Heinz, and have any of you tried their huge bags of Crusti Croc ready salted crips? Blooming lovely.

I'm not a wine buff but a friend of mine is, and she's always nipping into Aldi for a bottle of 'something' which has been recommended by some connoisseur who's in the know. She even tells me that Aldi wine is sometimes recommended in the Telegraph :eek Now that DID suprise me.

I don't buy meat or veggies from Aldi. Nothing to do with their quality - they always look fine. It's just that I only buy British ......... being from a farming family I guess I'm concious of helping the British farmer.

I can't abide 'shopping snobbery', I'll go in any shop that takes my fancy, I've had many an entertaining browse around such places as Poundland, Wilkinsons, Primark and indeed ..... Aldi.

Fingers crossed that Aldi gets to NZ ........... even if people choose not to shop there, maybe the low prices will have a knock on effect with the other supermarkets - which can only be good news.

Well spotted Jo.

Diny

The one brilliant thing about Aldi (at least here in the UK) is that they intermittently have jaw-droppingly good deals on pcs and computer related stuff (and are often given the "best buy/recommended, etc" seal of approval by Computeractive). High spec pcs, monitors, peripherals, etc.
    Likewise they also have frequent deals on cheap and cheerful cycling/running gear.
    Have bought some ok wine from there too - not too keen on the foodstuffs though.

Quote Originally Posted by baboonworld

ONLY WENT IN ONCE AND THOUGHT IT WAS A BIT LIKE NETTO (SCANDINAVIAN FOR CR*P)

But let's face it......anything is better than Countdown.

I only buy British ......... being from a farming family I guess I'm concious of helping the British farmer.

Good on you Diny! I'm glad I am not the only one and I intend to buy Kiwi when we get to NZ! (No I don't just mean the fruit!) [/quote]

Aldi is ok like any shop. It depends on what you want, and when they have it, you buy it. PC deals are fantastic when they come up.
    I like the juice that you get from there, really weird flavours and combinations (pear!) that you just don't get in the more mainstream places, or not that often anyway.

Yes, the shop layout does tend to be a bit spartan, but that's why the prices are low. Not paying for fancy shelving or megabucks advertising campaigns on tv.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast