Thread: Fabric Dye

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fabric Dye

Does anyone know where you can buy Dylon 'Wash and Dye' or something similar that you can do in the washing machine.

I have half a mile of curtaining that has bleached out something awful in the sunshine. Nice stripey patterns that they may now be, I thought I could have a go at dying them, rather than going to the vast expense of replacing them all. I can't think of anywhere I have seen dyes, but wondered does anyone know if Spotlight sells it? I would rather not go all the way there to find that they don't.

Most chemists sell them. Have even seen them in the odd supermarket

HTH

Tanya

Thanks all!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Most chemists sell them. Have even seen them in the odd supermarket

HTH

Tanya
    I never would have thought of a chemists as I so rarely ever go in one. Have tried online and the options are very limited. The only ones I can find are Black or Navy on Trademe and some other professional / arty stuff that looks a bit too scary and not particularly foolproof.

Just a little update on this for future reference should anyone else ever require fabric dyes. I tried Countdown, they had Dylon 'Wash n Dye' in just three colours - Black, Navy Blue or Dark purple, none of which were suitable for my needs. I enquired at the chemists and they just thought I was mental.

The last resort was Spotlight and they do indeed have a range of Dylon colours, however they were either all darks: black, grey, navy or at the other extreme of Flamingo Pink or Goldfish Orange, again not colours I really had in mind for yards and yards of curtaining in my neutral palette of home furnishings.

Spotlight did however have another American brand; Jacquard 'iDye'

http://www.jacquardproducts.com/prod...dye/colors.php

At $16.99 per packet, being enough to dye three pounds of fabric, it seems it will still be an expensive lark. I just got the one packet to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngeru View Post
    Does anyone know where you can buy Dylon 'Wash and Dye' or something similar that you can do in the washing machine.

I have half a mile of curtaining that has bleached out something awful in the sunshine. Nice stripey patterns that they may now be, I thought I could have a go at dying them, rather than going to the vast expense of replacing them all. I can't think of anywhere I have seen dyes, but wondered does anyone know if Spotlight sells it? I would rather not go all the way there to find that they don't.
    Yes, we bought some fabric dye at Spotlight's Dunedin store. Just give them a call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Yes, we bought some fabric dye at Spotlight's Dunedin store. Just give them a call and ask.
    Yep. I've seen dye in Spotlight at Wairau Park.

If the question is "Where can I get some obscure household product I can't find anywhere else for next to no money?", the answer is always Spotlight.

Well I would think a curtain or fabric supplier/manufacturer would supply dyes...Do a Google search like:

site:.co.nz "curtains" "dye" or site:.co.nz "fabric dye"

They may well supply spotlight...