Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NZ vs. Australia

how about the talks about that people get to NZ to end up in Australia?
    I assume you mean, deliberately doing this from the outset.

As far as I can tell from what other people have said, it was at one time marginally easier to get NZ PR than Australian, but this isn't the case any longer.

These days, also, suppose you get NZ PR - and you can tell from any number of threads on this forum that that can take a lot of time, effort and expense in some cases - then you go to live in NZ. That doesn't get you permission to live and work in Australia. You would have to live in NZ for five years (and qualify in other ways, too) to get NZ citizenship, THEN you would have the right to go. So anyone who really wants to go and live in Australia would be looking at doing anything up to seven years of a detour if they started out by going for NZ PR. I don't think I can imagine somebody cold-bloodedly deciding to do something they don't want, for that length of time, when they could just head straight for what they actually DO want.

Quote Originally Posted by phpalix View Post
    If its not personal, would you be so kind and explain why you left OZ?
    I was just visiting for a bit during college and that was because my OH at the time always wanted to see it. We were there for 4 months and saw a good bit of the country from Sydney down to Tasman and then out to Perth where we actually spent the majority of our time.

If I had to choose an island in the south pacific, Oz wouldn't be it. It's nothing in particular just preference. I would choose NZ (which I did, although it is no longer my primary residence) and that is based upon the scenery, weather, politics & people.

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    Well not quite. The New Zeland katipo is related to the Australian red back spider and can deliver a venomous bite. There have been deaths in NZ.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/1966/katipo-spider/1
    That's my whole point. People talking about snakes and spiders when coming to Australia...it is absolutely nothing to worry about. The sharks on the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    What about those frosts in Canberra and even Alice Springs?
    Yes Canberra and Alice Springs have some cold weather at night,but on the whole compared to NZ Australia has a very mild winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    I think the bit about the snakes and spiders is a bit over the top, yes we do have a lot of both where we live but in the more urban city areas I think you would be hard pressed to find a snake in your back yard, whereas where we live it is quite common to find a Brown snake hanging around. We have so many Red Back spidersaround our house it is impossible to kill them all, I will admit it is one reason we tend not to let our kids play out in the back yard until they are old enough to know the danger associated with these things. The other reason we don't have the kids playing outside is due to the extremely high temps during the day.

My comments are based on living in the northern remote regions of Australia and not somewhere the average immigrant would be looking to live.
    Mav that's right. In the city centres snake and spider attacks are rare. Further out like yourself you can have issues with pests but common sense will make sure you are ok like what you do with the kids etc

Quote Originally Posted by oz2010 View Post
    Yes Canberra and Alice Springs have some cold weather at night,but on the whole compared to NZ Australia has a very mild winter.

Very true..I returned to Sydney from Christchurch, and we have had days in August up to 22 degrees!! In winter!

Nobody has mentioned the thing that annoyed me by far the most about Oz, the flies!!! Maybe this is specific to a time of year or a region, but from what I was told they are a problem in many areas of Oz. I was travelling through Victoria in January and they were truly terrible. You'd see the backs of people's shirts covered in twenty or more flies. As I tried to play some mini-golf they went up my nose, in my ears and eyes and I was really worried I'd swallow one. I was never bitten by any but apparently some can bite.

As far as climate goes, I have never in my life experience heat like I did in Melbourne. It was 43C (111F) when I was there but the real problem was it stayed in the high 30s overnight. Yet much of the year Melbourne is cooler than Auckland and apparently quite cloudy and rainy. I've seen images of Melbourne covered in snow. There has only been a single recorded occurence of snow in Auckland in recorded history and that was in 1939.

The spiders and snakes wouldn't worry me too much, we had those in the US too. But the intense heat, the serious bush-fires (they had those while I was in Melbourne too) and the awful drought that leaves the countryside brown and dead all keep me from wanting to move there.

I will admit I'd take the Aussie climate over South Island or Wellington any day, but I think upper North Island has the perfect summer climate and very mild winters as well. Sydney is only slightly warmer than Auckland most of the year, only soaring hotter in mid-summer.

Wages are 35-40% higher in Oz but taxes are also higher and cost of living definitely higher as well.

Quote Originally Posted by akp713b View Post
    I will admit I'd take the Aussie climate over South Island or Wellington any day, but I think upper North Island has the perfect summer climate and very mild winters as well.
    Living "in the South" I prefer much more just putting on another layer of clothing (IF really needed) than experiencing rain and rain and rain ... in the North!

Benefits of Australian permanent resident status include:

The right to travel to New Zealand without applying for a New Zealand visa.
    Unrestricted rights to live, work and study in New Zealand.

On the other hand, New Zealand Residents need to apply for visa to travel to Australia. New Zealand Residents must pay International Tuition Fees in Australia where as Australian Residents pay Local fees in NZ.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_resident
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zea...nent_residency

Quote Originally Posted by akp713b View Post
    Nobody has mentioned the thing that annoyed me by far the most about Oz, the flies!!! Maybe this is specific to a time of year or a region, but from what I was told they are a problem in many areas of Oz. I was travelling through Victoria in January and they were truly terrible. You'd see the backs of people's shirts covered in twenty or more flies. As I tried to play some mini-golf they went up my nose, in my ears and eyes and I was really worried I'd swallow one. I was never bitten by any but apparently some can bite.

As far as climate goes, I have never in my life experience heat like I did in Melbourne. It was 43C (111F) when I was there but the real problem was it stayed in the high 30s overnight. Yet much of the year Melbourne is cooler than Auckland and apparently quite cloudy and rainy. I've seen images of Melbourne covered in snow. There has only been a single recorded occurence of snow in Auckland in recorded history and that was in 1939.

The spiders and snakes wouldn't worry me too much, we had those in the US too. But the intense heat, the serious bush-fires (they had those while I was in Melbourne too) and the awful drought that leaves the countryside brown and dead all keep me from wanting to move there.

I will admit I'd take the Aussie climate over South Island or Wellington any day, but I think upper North Island has the perfect summer climate and very mild winters as well. Sydney is only slightly warmer than Auckland most of the year, only soaring hotter in mid-summer.

Wages are 35-40% higher in Oz but taxes are also higher and cost of living definitely higher as well.
    Yes the flies are worst between November-March.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast