Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ vs. Australia

Default NZ vs. Australia

Hi all,

I have been looking at the Australia immigration website, and I believe I easily qualify for it, so thought I would ask:
    Why NZ?
    Why Australia?
    Why not NZ?
    Why not Australia?

Anybody considered both, and found some details?

I remembered seeing some articles some time ago, where they mentioned something like, people get to NZ to end up in Australia, and that NZ immigration law has less requirements, but I think its the opposite.

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Australia is too damned hot and I'm too damned old (over 45) so NZ was our choice

Australia - significantly higher salaries (in my field at least), but worse weather (scorching summers/freezing winters), higher cost of living, would have to live in a city, extremely poisonous spiders and snakes.

NZ - lower salary but can live in a small town, fab weather, no poisonous spiders.

We considered both initially (& a colleague tells me if he had to live in a city it would be Melbourne rather than Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch) but the spiders were the deciding factor for me!

NZ does not have poisonous snakes.

Sydney and Melbourne are nice and the pay is better. However, I like the climate much more in NZ. And as noted above, once you pass 44 (or was it 45) you are too old to be a skilled migrant. So the only way in is to invest about A$4MM or have a job offer without a visa (good luck on that).

That settled it for me.

I am from Sydney, Australia, returning to Christchurch soon..

Australia does have higher wages, but the cost of living is just as high, apart from utilities such as gas, phone, electricity..

I like the climate better in New Zealand, I find the 40 plus degrees in summer and humidity too much..

The wages are higher in Australia, but we cannot afford to buy a house anymore, we are looking at over $500,000 australian dollars, and that's 40 kilometers from the city! You buy cheaper, you end up in state housing..

Both countries have advantages and disadvantages, but for me, even as an Australian, New Zealand wins hands down..

Quote Originally Posted by Mishclark View Post

Both countries have advantages and disadvantages, but for me, even as an Australian, New Zealand wins hands down..
    +1

We live in a remote region in Oz and although we have high wages we have equally high cost of living out here. Not to mention the high crime rate in our town and having to live behind high fences to put off the would be crims.

Our temps are regularly in the 110 to 120 region for most of the year. Electrcity and water are hugely expensive, food is poor quality and expensive too.

Originally OH thought about OZ, but there was no way I could have taken the heat, I hate snakes and biting things and so I gently suggested NZ.....(and that was only in jest...but somehow I'm living in NZ now )

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    Australia - significantly higher salaries (in my field at least), but worse weather (scorching summers/freezing winters), higher cost of living, would have to live in a city, extremely poisonous spiders and snakes.

NZ - lower salary but can live in a small town, fab weather, no poisonous spiders.

We considered both initially (& a colleague tells me if he had to live in a city it would be Melbourne rather than Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch) but the spiders were the deciding factor for me!
    Have you even been to Australia? The poisonous spiders and snakes bit is getting a bit old really. Everytime an aussie hears this we laugh our heads off. Freezing winters?...We have very mild winters in Australia,only Tasmania would really be considered cold.

I suspect most people's decision is based on much more random factors than weighing up the pros and cons of each country. i.e. many of us came to NZ because we came here on holiday once and liked it, or we have relatives or friends here, or we saw a program on TV about it, or we just came on a whim etc. The same will apply to people who ended up in Australia. For some reason the rational approach of comparing the countries that you could emigrate to leaves me cold and seems somewhat mercenary (maybe that's just me though). I think emigrating works best when you can't really articulate why you came!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast