Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ vs. Australia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default NZ vs. Australia

Hi all,

I have been looking at the Australia immigration website, and I believe I easily qualify for it, so thought I would ask:
    Why NZ?
    Why Australia?
    Why not NZ?
    Why not Australia?

Anybody considered both, and found some details?

I remembered seeing some articles some time ago, where they mentioned something like, people get to NZ to end up in Australia, and that NZ immigration law has less requirements, but I think its the opposite.

Any thoughts??

Cheers

Australia is too damned hot and I'm too damned old (over 45) so NZ was our choice

Australia - significantly higher salaries (in my field at least), but worse weather (scorching summers/freezing winters), higher cost of living, would have to live in a city, extremely poisonous spiders and snakes.

NZ - lower salary but can live in a small town, fab weather, no poisonous spiders.

We considered both initially (& a colleague tells me if he had to live in a city it would be Melbourne rather than Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch) but the spiders were the deciding factor for me!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    Australia - significantly higher salaries (in my field at least), but worse weather (scorching summers/freezing winters), higher cost of living, would have to live in a city, extremely poisonous spiders and snakes.

NZ - lower salary but can live in a small town, fab weather, no poisonous spiders.

We considered both initially (& a colleague tells me if he had to live in a city it would be Melbourne rather than Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch) but the spiders were the deciding factor for me!
    Have you even been to Australia? The poisonous spiders and snakes bit is getting a bit old really. Everytime an aussie hears this we laugh our heads off. Freezing winters?...We have very mild winters in Australia,only Tasmania would really be considered cold.

Quote Originally Posted by oz2010 View Post
    Freezing winters?...We have very mild winters in Australia,only Tasmania would really be considered cold.
    What about those frosts in Canberra and even Alice Springs?

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    What about those frosts in Canberra and even Alice Springs?
    Yes Canberra and Alice Springs have some cold weather at night,but on the whole compared to NZ Australia has a very mild winter.

Quote Originally Posted by oz2010 View Post
    Yes Canberra and Alice Springs have some cold weather at night,but on the whole compared to NZ Australia has a very mild winter.

Very true..I returned to Sydney from Christchurch, and we have had days in August up to 22 degrees!! In winter!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    Australia - ... extremely poisonous spiders and snakes.

NZ - ... no poisonous spiders.
    Well not quite. The New Zeland katipo is related to the Australian red back spider and can deliver a venomous bite. There have been deaths in NZ.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/1966/katipo-spider/1

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    Well not quite. The New Zeland katipo is related to the Australian red back spider and can deliver a venomous bite. There have been deaths in NZ.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/1966/katipo-spider/1
    That's my whole point. People talking about snakes and spiders when coming to Australia...it is absolutely nothing to worry about. The sharks on the other hand....

NZ does not have poisonous snakes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast