Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suburbs and Schools of Hamilton

Question Suburbs and Schools of Hamilton

Hi!

Ok - I have to apologize - I guess this thread is not going to be as exciting as the "suburbs of auckland" discussions ;-) I have searched the forum and a lot of the posts were from 2yrs ago.

So how is it now? We were looking at Rototuna - new houses, good schools - but how long does it take to get to the hospital? In one post it said Melville is not a nice place to live but what about Glenview and Dinsdale? Zoodle makes everything sound like a nice place to live - I guess that is more or less their job.

What about primary schools in those areas? Rhode Street School and Aberdeen School look ok?

Does anyone have kids in primary in Hamilton?

Thanks to you all - can't imagine how people move to NZ WITHOUT this forum

Rototuna primary is an excellent school; purpose built, excellent facilities and often upheld as a school with exemplary teaching. However I felt the outside areas were small compared to other schools. Depends on what's important to you and yours?

Can't help with your other questions I'm afraid. But if you need to get to the hospital then its perfectly possible from Cambridge (25 to 30 mins max) and that's a VERY nice place to live with excellent schools!

Smile

Hi!

Thnx for your reply - I have to be honest that I don't really know yet what I feel is important since our daughter will be starting school in NZ and the system is also very different. I just want her to like it and feel comfy - we willdefinitely look at allthe schools but word of mouth is really good in thsese areas...

cambridge seems like a nice place - at least a lot of forumites say so ;-) we want to be home though when we are on-call - so i think h´the max is 10-15 min to the hospital.

we were dreaming of a nice place where we can ride our bikes to the hospital when the weather permits - which will be most of the time since we live by the -"there is no bad weather - just bad gear" mentality.

Maybe somone on the forum will know about dinsdale/glenview?

Am typing with grabby baby in hand so excuse zypos if there are any ;-)

Kiwidoc, assuming you're a doctor I think you'll probably find Cambridge too far if you need to be on call. I'm not keen on Rototuna and much prefer Hillcrest and surrounding suburbs, which has Hillcrest Primary and Berkley Intermediate and Hillcrest High in terms of schools- all tightly zoned sought after schools, even by folk as far away as Cambridge. The mix of housing is a bit nicer round Hillcrest, whereas Rototuna is very new build estate style, which may well be your cup of tea but isn't quite mine

I will ask my husband who works in Hamilton about suburbs too

Hi Kiwidoc,
    I don't know if you're sorted with an area to live yet but I thought of adding Tamahere to the mix. I work at the hospital but I'm not on call so I live in Cambridge, which I love. However, I believe lots of hospital docs live in Tamahere which is roughly halfway between Cambridge and Hamilton, slightly closer to Hamilton than Cambridge. It's also on the 'right side' of Hamilton as far as the hospital is concerned -as you enter Hamilton from Tamahere, through Hillcrest, the hospital is pretty much right there, as opposed to coming through the centre of Hamilton, which I believe can be busy at peak times. I've attached a couple of links for you to look at if you're interested. I've put the Cambridge Real Estate link in because they list properties in Tamahere. Trade-Me also lists rentals and properties for sale in Tamahere. Every morning when I drive past the Tamahere exit on SHI on my way to work I always pass 1 or 2 cyclists - it's a 100km/h highway but it has a cycle lane or shoulder - I would be scared to cycle due to the speed of the cars but I am NOT a cyclist! Clearly others are unperturbed cycling this route and I would imagine there are back roads towards to hospital that would not be so busy. http://www.tamahere.com/
    http://tamahereschool.co.nz/
    http://www.cambridgerealestate.net.nz/
    I hope that's helpful and good luck with your move! I really enjoy working at the hospital and I love where I live so I hope you and your family will be happy too.
    Bridget

I wouldn't want to do that cycle with or without kids. And I know it feels like there should be a cut through or lane that removes needing to cycle on SH1 but there isn't. If you look on google maps you'll see there are only a couple of other options and you'll still need to come out onto SH1 or up Matangi road, the other busy rat-run in.

Thumbs up

Hi Kiwidoc,

We are moving to Tamahere next month. When we were in Hamilton in April on a fact finding mission we went to Tamahere primary school and the kids spent a day there. We were very impressed by the school, the area and the principal - Waveney Parker. I don't think you could go wrong there - BUT you must live in the catchment area (zone). I am also medical and going to work at Waikato Hospital - so may see you there!

Hi everybody!

thanks for your replies! Since our container will take a while longer than we thought we will have plenty of time to go house-hunting and will check everything out once we are there. We were in Hamilton last year and my BH had an interview at the hospital and we looked at Hamilton but not in such great detail - so I guess we will work it out once we are there.

Right now I am kind of sad since my little daughter is really really upset since the container left with most of her toys inside... She cries at night about missing her friends and not wanting to go and it really makes me feel terrible..

Did any of you experience this? How did you get past it?

@ Pontyboy - you might meet my OH - I will stay home with the little one a bit longer - but maybe your kids are the right age for my daughter to play with *hope* she will be 5 in Jan.

Not quite I'm afraid. Mine are nearly 10 & nearly 8 (girl then boy) but I think your daughter will like the school anyway - check it out at www.tamahereschool.ac.nz

I know this thread is old, but does anyone have any recent experience with either Te Rapa, Te Totara or Rototuna primary schools?

We're looking at living in the the Flagstaff/Rototuna area, and these are the three schools we are considering for our children.

I understand that Te Rapa goes up to Year 8, and the other two school only up to Year 6. What is the nearest intermediate? Is it Fairfield?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast