Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from a month long visit to the U.S./Canada

Default Back from a month long visit to the U.S./Canada

We thought we'd just post our thoughts after living in NZ for a year, and then returning for a month long visit to N.America. We didn't really know what to expect, and didn't really have any expectations on how things would be after being away for over a year. We just really excited to see family. It was such a nice holiday and we felt we spent more quality time with them for this past month than we had living in the same state. Our visit solidified our decision about moving to NZ and calling it home. We arrived in the U.S. and it really didn't seem as great as what we anticipated. Don't get us wrong, we loved the time with family but that was all we miss about the U.S. All the so-called materialistic things we thought we missed, the brands and restaurants we thought we'd go crazy over, just weren't as good as what we remembered. So many things just aren't deal breakers and are so insignificant in the whole scheme of things. We came back validated in our decision to immigrate. We were shell shocked at how materialistic and fast paced (and somewhat aggressive) the lifestyle is there. The lifestyle in NZ just cannot be replicated in the U.S. We feel so incredibly lucky to live here. Missing family is tough, but we have decided that with saving up for a yearly trip, Skype and email, we will be just fine living in NZ, even though it is far away from family. We think the main thing for us is this: You truly have to love where you live. No matter how much we love our extended families, we have to be happy where we live and create our own family here. Where one lives is so incredibly important to peace of mind and life satisfaction!

As we flew over Auckland and saw the beaches and green rolling hills below us, we fell in love with our decision to move to NZ all over again. It is so green, so beautiful, and the lifestyle is so much more laid back. It's just everything that we want our life to be.

So for those who think you may miss things back home, go for a month long visit if you can because it will either validate your decision to move to NZ or will let you know that you'd like to move back to your home country or closer to family. It was really an eye opener for us, and we'd strongly recommend that for anyone feeling particularly homesick. It completely sealed the deal for us. We love living in NZ!

After reading your post, I can't really wait to move to NZ! I hope my visa gets approved soon

There's another thread where a forumite asked about why people leave the US for NZ. Your post is an answer to that question. I also think that it's all about people's perception about the US which makes others feel like moving there instead of anywhere else in the world. Plus, 95% of TV shows came from there anyway so people tend to idealize Uncle Sam as the place to be.

Maybe I'll go to LA/SF one day via Auckland

globetrekker: I'm curious as to what you mean by "aggressive" lifestyle. Particularly as you (I assume) were visiting SLC. Do you mean pushy or what? Had you gone to NYC, I would understand, but going elsewhere that surprises me, so I may be missing your point.

fye: Please don't judge the US based on a visit to LA. The US is far better than that....

Great post. I felt pretty much exactly the same way when we visited the US last year.

Isn't it nice to come back to NZ and realize it feels like home?

Quote Originally Posted by SueDonim View Post
    globetrekker: I'm curious as to what you mean by "aggressive" lifestyle. Particularly as you (I assume) were visiting SLC. Do you mean pushy or what? Had you gone to NYC, I would understand, but going elsewhere that surprises me, so I may be missing your point.

fye: Please don't judge the US based on a visit to LA. The US is far better than that....
    We definitely found a difference. Of course that is a generalizing statement, but it was certainly the overall feeling we came back with. It seemed to be that people, drivers, shoppers, and particularly the media (wow) etc. were more aggressive or should I say, "full on"? Perhaps "full on" is a better word that I should have used. It was really a contrast for us. Particularly employees in stores. We just didn't recognize this until being away for over a year. It was exhausting in some aspects. So very busy busy busy, too! But, having said that, it may not be everyone's feeling after living in NZ. We just sure noticed a difference, and found NZ to be much more peaceful.
    Last edited by globetrecker; 17th August 2010 at 04:24 PM.

Just curios: Reading you are in "Palmy" - is it Palmerston, just up the road, or P. Nth on Nth Isl?

Considering I'm on a student visa and there are no unis in Palmerston on the south island (as far as I'm aware)...

yea. North island.

Wasn't sure if I could trust that information - alas...

interested in the contrast between the states and canada on your trip if you dont mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by SueDonim View Post
    I know. I mentioned LA coz it's the first gateway for international flights in the west coast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast