Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does it feel so scary?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Why does it feel so scary?

So, we've got the job, been approved for PR, handed notice in at my current job. The dream is becoming a reality. So why does it feel so flippin' scary?!

We did a 'to do' list yesterday - that's enough to scare the bejeezus out of you.
    Just found that we are supposed to give 60 days' notice on the lease on our rented house but hoping the landlord will take pity on us.
    Just told my team that I'm going before they hear via any grapevines. That was a bit of a shocker and I was so nervous about doing that.

When does the excitement set in?

How many of your team knew where New Zealand was? All the best for your move, I hope it all goes smoothly and your landlord lets you off lightly.

So did you get all the notice / contract term issues resolved with management and HR? Hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    How many of your team knew where New Zealand was? All the best for your move, I hope it all goes smoothly and your landlord lets you off lightly.
    I actually have a fairly well-travelled team so I think they all (there were only three) know. One has even been there - but admittedly on a work trip.

Thanks for the good wishes

Quote Originally Posted by SueDonim View Post
    So did you get all the notice / contract term issues resolved with management and HR? Hope so.
    Yeah. Finally got to see my actual line manager this morning and told him the CEO had said I could have one month. So we agreed on one month from today, but I'm hoping to leave a day early so we can go back to London to get the Blue Stickers

Not had any contact from HR though so got no idea if they're going to sting me for any money. I would have thought they'd have been quick to point that out though if they wanted some

Hi...

The ride has already begun!!.....

It's one heck of a surf on to the beach...high's and low's.... laughter and crying or both!....at the same time......elation and down right wobbly bit moments...

BUT the whole experience, once you safely get to the Land of The Long White Cloud.... taken in reflection with a drink or two.... EXCITEMENT???... heck yeah!....enjoy every moment for what it is......

The way I manage is by creating a BIG list of things to do...including small tasks...that way I get to tick something off every day and get a feeling that things are moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    The way I manage is by creating a BIG list of things to do...including small tasks...that way I get to tick something off every day and get a feeling that things are moving forward.
    Yep, to do list already done. Surprisingly that didn't seem as scary as the one when we left the UK! And we had twice as long to achieve everything on there!

HR have finally replied and they want a call tomorrow (eek!). Dreading the outcome of that call. Here's hoping they don't want lots of $$$$! But they're fine with the one-month's notice.

Manks

it is an interesting question as to why does it feel so scary?
    I get that sometimes too.

Because the overwhelming apprehension does seem a little disproportionate, irrational, and unpredictable.

If it was a move to Aberdeen, Penzance, Cork it would be remote but it would not attract the same psychological response/reaction. Nobody would be asking if you'll live there for life.

It is a big move from UK to NZ, it is a lot of miles, it does take at least 24hours to get there or back ...........BUT people today travel to and from regularly (your colleagues have), people today can communicate for free instantly, email, skype, video conference all free.

I have a hunch we panic a little because of the historical/cultural legacy - the 1960s £10 Poms, the ones you'll never see again, the ones you will lose touch with because it takes so long to send letters, because it takes so long to get to by boat, that it is just beyond our financial means to visit by air, friends and family who we can't afford to speak to over the phone cos its too expensive, the people who go to live in the furthest place in the world, ... GOODBYE!

BUT it just isn't like that in 2010!!!!!!!

All the best,

Good Luck with HR Manks.

I remember before we left vacillating between great excitement and sheer terror, sometimes in the same minute. I kept a book of NZ Photos on my desk so when the panic got too bad I could look at it and get excited again!

Once everything starts moving really fast you really don't have much time to think, you just do! If you can though, take a small break before you start work, to get your bearings and have some downtime....have a holiday! I am so glad I took the first month, more or less, in that light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast