Thread: Working on an ambulance and nursing schools?

Default Working on an ambulance and nursing schools?

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information regarding working on an ambulance (as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic) in NZ?

Here in California I am currently working as an EMT Basic on a BLS (basic) rig. I read on the NZ information website that they are looking for skilled workers, does this qualify? I saw that they are looking for Paramedics but I do not know what the qualifications and schooling required is over there.

Also, I eventually want to get into Nursing School....right now I am finishing up my Assciated Degree in Biology to transfer to a school or (hopefully!) a University in NZ. Does anyone have any experience doing this, or can provide me with some info?

Thanks, and much appriciated!

hi BayAreaSubie,

Most ambulance services in NZ are run by St John Ambulance, so they'd be the best people to contact.

My BiL is an ex-paramedic and currently runs the South Island's ambo control centre (where SiL and step-FiL also work LOL). I can ask him how it all works if you like, but you might get most info more quickly here:

http://www.stjohn.org.nz/jobs/international.aspx

There is an email address for people to contact about how their overseas quals match to NZ ones

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    hi BayAreaSubie,

Most ambulance services in NZ are run by St John Ambulance, so they'd be the best people to contact.

My BiL is an ex-paramedic and currently runs the South Island's ambo control centre (where SiL and step-FiL also work LOL). I can ask him how it all works if you like, but you might get most info more quickly here:

http://www.stjohn.org.nz/jobs/international.aspx

There is an email address for people to contact about how their overseas quals match to NZ ones
    Wow, thanks! I will get in contact with them. When I found their website off of Wikipedia I didn't find that page

Hi! I'm from Seattle, working as an advanced paramedic in the Wairarapa region. St Johns covers most of nz, however the Wellington region is served by Wellington Free Ambulance, and the Wairarapa and Taranaki regions have their own District Health Board (DHB) run services. There is a big shortage of intermediate and advanced medics over here, and both qualify under the Long Term Shortages Visas, if you also have 2 yrs experience. There are abundant Basic EMTs, and those jobs are very competitive because of a large volunteer force. Not to be a debi-downer but I would say the chances of finding a job over here as a basic are pretty slim. But if you were to upskill to intermediate your options would open up widely! And do it in the states before you come over here, it's so much easier.
    You'll need your qualifications assessed, St johns has it's own process, but the other 3 services use Ambulance New Zealand. Pretty straight forward, took about a month for my stuff to go thru.
    Good luck in the process! Put in the effort, because the reward of working over here as a medic is so worth it! Cheers, Heidi

Hello and welcome, and thanks for this helpful post.

Hey BayAreaSubie. Any luck with this quest. I am in a similar position. I am a paramedic in Canada and would like to emmigrate to NZ. My skills are slightly higher than Emt. Have been trying to find a list of exactly what skills the intermediate medics are qualified for in NZ.

Hello and welcome.

By the look of that page that Sophie linked to above, you could email in and ask for a description of the intermediate skills.