Thread: Transfer of visa into renewed passport?

Default Transfer of visa into renewed passport?

I had to renew our UK passports recently but when OH went to NZIS to transfer visas he was told no need unless leaving the country. But I feel un-nerved with my new passport with no blue stickers in, especially since we've been here 2 years now and I'd noted in my diary to get IRRV done by today.

Is it really ok to have nothing in my passport that shows I'm entitled to be here? Irrespective of whether I want to leave or not (which I'm not planning on doing)? I guess in an emergency I'd go to NZIS and get the visa there and then so I could get back into NZ?

After all the correctness necessary up to now, this seems very lax?

You shouldn't let your IRRV expire. If you do it can cause problems when you do need a new one. However, if you're not leaving the country, there's no problem with not transferring your current IRRV to a new passport.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I had to renew our UK passports recently but when OH went to NZIS to transfer visas he was told no need unless leaving the country. But I feel un-nerved with my new passport with no blue stickers in, especially since we've been here 2 years now and I'd noted in my diary to get IRRV done by today.
    From your signature you have recently been eligible for an IRRV, so instead of transferring your current visa to your new passport, why don't you just apply for your IRRV and have it put into your new passports.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    From your signature you have recently been eligible for an IRRV, so instead of transferring your current visa to your new passport, why don't you just apply for your IRRV and have it put into your new passports.

Ian
    And how do I do that? It sounds like the right thing to do.

As I mentioned, when OH went to see NZIS they implied there was no point....

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    And how do I do that? It sounds like the right thing to do.

As I mentioned, when OH went to see NZIS they implied there was no point....
    See Returning to NZ and fill in form 1004.

Guess there is no rush until you want to leave NZ, but personally would do it sooner rather than later.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    You shouldn't let your IRRV expire. If you do it can cause problems when you do need a new one. However, if you're not leaving the country, there's no problem with not transferring your current IRRV to a new passport.
    An IRRV doesn't expire, that's the point.

Carey, just fill in the form and pay the fee (sigh) and you get a sticker in your passport that says you can come and go FOREVER. Priceless

Thanks guys! Will save up for them RRV's !