Thread: kids in Permanent Residency application

Default kids in Permanent Residency application

Hello everyone,
    Hopefully someone can shed some light on this monster of an application process... I'm Canadian, husband is Kiwi, we have applied for "citizen by descent" for our children. Does that mean I don't need to include them in my permanent residency application? I've got it all ready to go except for this one thing I'm unsure of, I've found all the other PR discussions in this forum super helpful, thanks for all the great info so far!

You're right - as your children have NZ nationality, you are the only one of your family who needs to APPLY for residency.

Thx JandM... so I assume this means leaving the pages with "dependent children" just blank? Sorry if this sounds really clueless but this is just not clear to me!! Also, I don't technically have the citizenship applications sent out yet (mailing it tomorrow), but as my medical is 2 1/2 months old I can't wait for that proof of status to come back for my children. Yes, I got a bit ahead of myself with my medical but its too late now, that PR application has to be sent through before my medical expires. I will send in the actual proof of citizenship seperately when it comes through, do you think this would be acceptable? I really appreciate any input, thanks so much!

We did ours at the same time. No problems.
    I just put down that we were applying for their citizenship and it was all fine.
    Good luck

As far as I know you need to put the names of your kids down so INZ know about them. I didn't check the current application form but "back then" there was an extra box to tick if they were included in the application. I would add an additional note about your / their specific situation so INZ cannot hold it against you that they have not been informed of any relevant circumstances ...

hi Karla,

I listed our daughter on the form, but not as an applicant for PR. I can't remember which section it was, but my CO did call to check that we were getting her citizenship by descent sorted

If your hubby is a Kiwi born in NZ you shouldn't have any prob with the kids' applications. DD's was all done and dusted, passport included, within 2-3 weeks.

thanks everyone, all is going in the mail tomorrow, woohoo!!

Yep, that's what we did. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NAP View Post
    We did ours at the same time. No problems.
    I just put down that we were applying for their citizenship and it was all fine.
    Good luck
    Hey Nap, how did you manage to do both at the same time when your spouses passports were sent with the citizenship by descent application? We are in this exact predicament right now... we have sent away the citizenship stuff, and are now realizing (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that my kiwi hubbies documents have to go in with my PR?

Quote Originally Posted by Karla View Post
    Hey Nap, how did you manage to do both at the same time when your spouses passports were sent with the citizenship by descent application? We are in this exact predicament right now... we have sent away the citizenship stuff, and are now realizing (please correct me if I'm wrong!) that my kiwi hubbies documents have to go in with my PR?
    We had that problem too, and simply waited until DD's stuff came back before submitting my application. It only took 1-2 weeks