Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: shopping

Default shopping

First shopping experience
    First trip to pak n save today and I have to be honest it freaks you out a little, when we visited before it wasn’t as bad as you are still working in pounds but now as you try to think in dollars some things in particular do seem really expensive. Mouthwash jumps to mind, about a pound in the UK, here even the cheapest one was over 5 dollars. It took us ages to find equivalents of things and no spaghetti hoops. Weetbix is not wheatabix and for some reason 2 in 1 shampoo is a rarity. I guess in this more laid back environment they have more time to wash and condition their hair! I do miss Morrisons snack size sausage rolls though. Otherwise prices are not too bad, although I think cheese will become a luxury at $10 for 1kg. Other things there is just too much choice over, for example how many different types of milk do you really need and tinned tuna, all we wanted was plain tuna steaks in brine but nothing. If you want it with lemon, pepper, herbs all there but no John West here. I would suggest shopping around and looking for special offers as I think it really does make a difference. The real positives are everything is really fresh and of a good quality and unlike the UK meat doesn’t shrink when you cook it, no extra added water for weight, what you pay for is what you get. I think once we are used to it shopping will be ok but the first time can be a little intimidating.

It is one of the most scarey things at first and really contributed to my culture shock. I can reassure you that you do get used to the differences gradually and come round to the new things and start to miss the omissions less as time goes on.

Doing shopping in our first few months and still even now takes me an age, to find the things I want. It takes a lot of trial and errors to find the things you like. There are spaghetti hoops for sure, but be warned you might find you don't like them anymore.

All the tuna stuff varieties stuffed with gunk do my head in too, but again the plain tuna in brine, oil or spring water is there, you just have to suss out which one it is. I find all brands of tuna much of a muchness, so wouldn't worry about the lack of John West. The Sealord or Greenseas brands are comparable. The worst I ever had was described as 'Sandwich' tuna and it was really finely minced watery yuck.

...aeh, do you mind if I ask what 'spaghetti hoops' are?

I guess if we were to go to the UK to live it would be a culture shock for us too. All the things you mentioned are exactly the same here in Oz. We did not notice any difference when we were shopping around in March this year in NZ. Actually we found a lot of places with excellent prices compared to Oz, which is totally different to what it was like 20 years ago.

We shopped in Christchurch at the Westfield Riccarton Shopping Centre and found some absolute bargains in clothing there.

In Queenstown the new Remarkables Park Town Centre was good for picking up cheap consumables, really cheap in fact.

So I reckon once you get used to your surroundings and start making friends with the locals you will soon find the best places to shop for the bargains.

"Select" Tuna in spring water is the only type I've ever liked, get it from Countdown. Lots of good things down here, I just buy what's on "special" which means I've tried lots of things I wouldn't have dared tried otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    ...aeh, do you mind if I ask what 'spaghetti hoops' are?
    Pasta formed into little rings, in tins, in a (usually tomato) sauce. Often served as a 'vegetable', or on toast for a snack.

I had no idea you could actually become a friend of Heinz Spaghetti Hoops on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heinz-...ps/47544951822

Thanks, JandM...., I thought about something like that, still can't really relate to why anyone would like spaghetti in a can, hoop- formed or or not. I had spaghetti on toast or baked beans on toast pretty much every day for lunch when I attended a language course in England many, many years ago, but I still think they are so mashy/ overcooked......
    But....., everybody likes different things, so hwy not- and I hope, upsidedown, you'll find a substitute

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    If you want it with lemon, pepper, herbs all there but no John West here.
    Greenseas tuna in olive oil gets our vote.

The real positives are everything is really fresh and of a good quality and unlike the UK meat doesn’t shrink when you cook it, no extra added water for weight, what you pay for is what you get.
    Not too sure about the added water thing. I've had plenty of chicken breast here that loses lots of water when cooked and then has the consistency of leather. A lot of the bacon available also has lots of water added.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast