Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first few days

Default first few days

So we arrived and had a good sleep and then started on our New Zealand to do list. Having waited for so long to get here in a no mans land between the house sale and leaving we were both keen to get started and feel like we had done something. First up was the bank. This was really easy they were so helpful and although we have to wait for our visa debit cards we were given an EFTPOS card there and then which we could use. At the post office we were also able to get the forms for our IRD numbers, this too was an easy simple form to complete and all you needed was your passport, driving license and photocopy of these and it was all sorted. It should arrive in the next 8 working days to our post office box. One of these cost $135 for 12 months.
    The deal of the day though came when we got our mobiles sorted. We had organised to get our phones unlocked before we left the UK and this was a wise idea as the cheapest phone is around $69 and this is one that I saw in Asda before we left for only £15. We went with 2degrees. The SIM card cost $10 and came with $20 credit, so that was a good deal.
    Only downside is no free wi-fi access anywhere that we can find, so right now we are using the library where we only get 30 minutes per day. This is slightly frustrating as we keep thinking of things to look up. Oh well in a few weeks we should have our own place and then we can get connected to broadband.

Interesting reading as we are going to have to do all of this in a couple of months.

In terms of the IRD number, is this something which you had to organise yourself or can employers sort this out?

Also, how did opening a bank account work? I guess you had to transfer some funds into the new account and what ID is required?

hi! where are you on the coast?

Quote Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
    Only downside is no free wi-fi access anywhere that we can find, so right now we are using the library where we only get 30 minutes per day. This is slightly frustrating as we keep thinking of things to look up. Oh well in a few weeks we should have our own place and then we can get connected to broadband.
    Not exactly free, but if you buy a coffee from Esquire then you get an hours free internet access.

Ian

There are also internet kiosks at some i-Sites (tourist info centres) available to the public. Not sure if it's free though:

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/des...on-centres.cfm

Noodles, you need to do it yourself in a post office in NZ - can't do it from outside hte country. Dead easy though, just need passport and driving license, and they are even open on a Sunday.

Bank - no actual need to transfer money, but I suppose it does help make it worthwhile having the cards ;-) I opened mine with National Bank via their online, was really easy, account number and instructions for the transfer sent in a couple of days, and then all my cards were waiting when I got to NZ. Other banks do migrant services as well, just worked out easiest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Noodles, you need to do it yourself in a post office in NZ - can't do it from outside hte country. Dead easy though, just need passport and driving license, and they are even open on a Sunday.
    Ahem, a huge generalisation there based perhaps on your local experience. Best check local opening tiimes on their website as most Post Offices are not open on a Sunday, although the odd few are. Our local one doesn't even open on a Saturday afternoon.

IRD can also be fast tracked for ten bucks at the AA centres so biff it up while you convert your driving license!

Thanks Duncan/Victoria. Noted.
    And BTW, what's 'biff it up' mean?

Welcome to Aotearoa! Where are you based?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast