Thread: Insurance for storage

Default Insurance for storage

We pretty much are ready to confirm our 3 month booking for storage in Wellington, but are struggling to get an insurance quote to cover our stuff. Some of the other more expensive storage places have quotes for about $50 pcm for it, whilst our preferred one is quoting $50 pw from their insurer.

When I try to check out insurance online, you have to ring them up which is awkward. Can anyone recommend any cheap insurers and also paste any links to insurers you can email or book online?

Thanks.

You should be able to extend the policy you have for shipping your goods over to cover storage at this end. The premium is usually based on whether the goods were professionally packed or not so if you look for a new insurer just for storage, you might need to provide evidence of this from your packers.

We used Vero Marine to insure our goods in transit and for a few weeks' storage once in NZ. You might be able to get storage only insurance if your current policy doesn't cover it. I can't find details of what it cost us four years ago, but I don't remember it being much:

www.veromarine.co.nz

Thanks but the shippers insurance is much more expensive than ordinary storage insurance (4 x the cost).

Finally got to the bottom of the insurance problem. Apparently unless you already have home/contents insurance in NZ, you can't get a policy for storage. Also, insurance companies that insure your goods in a storage unit on behalf of the storage company, wont insure you privately. In other words, each storage unit has its own insurance provider and that's that!

Crazy way of running an industry if you ask me.

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I told my storage company I would go elsewhere for the final time yesterday - big surprise - they rang me last night to say they'd got the insurance down to a third of the original quote!