Thread: Passport Renewal

Default Passport Renewal

Hi
    My passport has not expired but I need a new one because of few blank pages remaining. I have NZ permanent residence visa in my current passport. Do I need to trasfer my residence visa, if I get a new passport? OR I can travel to NZ with a new one and get my residence permit on it.

How many pages are needed once an immigrant arrive in New Zealand for a stay of two years.

Pomi771

I think best option is to transfer sticker on new passport. If you travel frequently, get passport with 72 pages (its but expensive in my country but worth it). I regret not getting 72 pages passport. I have only 12 pages left in my passport and three years validity despite of my requests on airports to stamp used page and use of e-gate card.

Yes you can travel to NZ with new passport but you will have to attach old passport with it if you dont transfer visa sticker.

Quote Originally Posted by rizjunior View Post
    Yes you can travel to NZ with new passport but you will have to attach old passport with it if you dont transfer visa sticker.
    Have you confirmed this?

I know that some countries do allow you to just attach the old passport, but from any information that I've seen, this isn't the case with NZ.

If you do have defintive information, one way or the other,that would be useful.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Have you confirmed this?

I know that some countries do allow you to just attach the old passport, but from any information that I've seen, this isn't the case with NZ.

If you do have defintive information, one way or the other,that would be useful.

Ian
    I am in NZ and facing a similar situation as the poster of this thread. I did call the Immigration help line in Auckland asking for advice. They recommended getting a new passport and transferring the visa to it. From what I understand and this is my opinion, it's safer to get the visa transferred. When I apply for a passport, it will be a new one with a new expiry date and the visas in it won't be valid. But every country as Ian pointed might have differing ways of addressing this.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Have you confirmed this?

Ian
    I emailed NZIS about this, and they said that you must transfer your visa to a new passport before travelling.

Q: I am a permanent resident in New Zealand, and have a current returning resident visa. If I renewed my passport while on holiday in the UK, would I have to transfer my RRV to my new passport before returning to NZ, or would I be able to travel to NZ using the RRV in my expired passport and transfer the visa to my new passport at a later date?
    A: Thank you for taking advantage of our Online Help facility.

You must apply for the transfer prior to entering NZ otherwise you could be refused entry onto the plane.

Kind Regards,

Alannagh
    Customer Service Officer
    Department of Labour

Thanks for sharing information. I think its best to get visa transfered. Do I have to pay fees? and how much time it takes?

UK and USA allow to travel on new passport if visa is pasted on old passport. As long as your passport is valid, how can any immigration authorities stop you entering country (if you have visa). The only thing most countries ask is validity of passport for atleast six months (though some ask 3 months).

Imagine you have no space on your passport what will entry clearance officer do? I dont think they can deny you entry.

PS: IanW99 need to discuss some thing with you.
    Last edited by rizjunior; 23rd August 2010 at 02:12 AM.

I have an issue with my bf's passport. We just got our PR and waiting for the returning passports with PR sticker from INZ.

My bf's passport has only 1 year left. He couldn't renew it in NZ as there is no Czech embassy here but only consulate in Auckland. We've been told that he only can renew his passport in Czech embassy in Sydney personally (apply and pick up).

We don't have work visa to travel out of NZ (want to save money to wait for RRV). If in my bf's case, how can he transfer his RRV to his new passport before leaving NZ?

Anyone who has experience like my bf or any clues on this case?

This is such a special case that I think you need to ask NZIS.