Thread: Teaching evidence/portfolio

Cool Teaching evidence/portfolio

Hi, am looking to move to NZ as primary teacher. Is there anyone who could show me what sort of evidence NZ would be looking for. Do they want to see a portfolio showing work etc. Is it just a matter of getting reference letters. Would I need a list detailing any professional development I had completed. Do they want photo's/work samples/data etc.

Has anyone got a standard CV format? Is it different to a CV you would put out in the UK?

Hope someone can help - there are so many things that we are trying to get together would hate to 'fall down' because evidence/CV wasn't put together properly.

If anyone can show me some examples of portfolio's/CV's would be fantastic would really appreciate it.

Just replied to your other post.

In answer to this post.....absolutely make sure you get evidence/written letter from your school(s) to detail any CPD you've completed. Also make sure you have proof of NQT completion - this (and the CPD evidence) will affect what teaching license you end up with. I asked my LEA to provide details of what was covered in my NQT year and they gave me a letter several pages long which helped prove I've had a period of professional supervision after gaining QTS (this is important to the TC).

Putting together a teaching portfolio sounds like a good idea but it's my understanding that this is not necessary (though somebody correct me if I'm wrong). It certainly can't do anything but help though!

When I visited some NZ schools last year they were more interested in my initiative in getting myself out there, contacting them and wanting to spend some time in their school. I believe most teachers start off in NZ doing relief (supply) work, for which you'll need a NZ style CV to drop into local schools. If you PM me your email address I'll send you an example that a NZ teacher has given me.

Again, hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your response it was really useful. For some reason I can't PM you so don't know how I could pass on details for CV. Any suggestions?

You need to have posted 5 times before PM is available to you......

There is conflicting advice about the 'best' CV for teaching jobs. Some say put a photo on, some say no need. But it does need to be longer than a UK one, more detail of responsibilites, areas of interest. Some say make it creative, make it stand out. Certainly important to bind it nicely, in a clear folder so it is colourful.

Certainly get accurate details from all employers wiht start and end date; your County Council should be able to provide this.

it often seems to be who you know here so make appointments to see Principals, do relief work, find schools you like then hope a position comes up! It worked for me!

Where are you headed in NZ? More opportunities in Auckland but be sure you are happy with higher proportions of ESOL students, which can require a different style of teaching.
    Good luck...Uk teachers are well respected here as hard working and reliable.

Thanks Carey, will have to start getting creative then and put something together. Seems like lots of things to pull together, hope it works.