Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shopping List....

Default Shopping List....

Ok, did our first "big" shop today... bear in mind we were disorientated, jet lagged and not particularly hungry :?

Total cost of NZ$191 and that will probably be enuf for up to a week... prob not even THAT long actually - and for 2 of us....

1 clove garlic - 0.78
    4 brown onions - 0.78
    6 eggs large - 2.09
    Bertolli olive oil spread - 2.99
    Bunch asparagus - 5.99
    1kg Persil powder - 5.99
    1kg potatoes (loose) - 2.06
    500ml veg oil - 2.35
    Frozen pizza - 6.34
    Chicken medium - 10.00
    Loaf multigrain sliced - 1.72
    Scallops breaded (frozen) - 8.93
    0.4 kg kumara (sweet potato) - 2.55
    Heinz mayonnaise - 2.80
    Marmite 125g (small) - 4.87
    Streaky bacon (reg pack) - 5.99
    2 x lamb leg steaks - 6.15
    Tin tuna in spring water - 2.35
    Colmans mustard - 2.29
    Wynd Estate Chardonnay - 10.95
    4 x chorizo sausages - 4.24
    120g packed sliced ham - 4.09
    1 litre milk (full) - 1.60

I didn't type it all in, got bored!!! But above should give you an idea - none of the above are what I would call budget brands, I can't bring myself to buy them as I probably wouldn't eat them ops: but it was a shop done at Woolworths so not exactly Harrods foodhall!!

Hope it helps someone out there!!

Moorf

saw in another thread that you posted your shopping list so i went looking for it ops: - thanks helen!

jes :angel

What, no sea cucumbers Helen ?

Default Re: Shopping List....

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    Marmite 125g (small) - 4.87
    Hope it helps someone out there!!

Moorf
    Morf

Was that real Marmite or NZ Marmite. I will never forget my first :eek :eek (and last ) mouthful of NZ Marmite. We did see the real stuff in Super Value last time we were over but it didn't seem very common.

We hit the Cash and Carry recently and bought 3 catering packs ready for NZ but it will run out eventually.

Richard

if you buy the same shaped jar with OURMATE as a its name its proper marmite. I think that for us UK people the shopping bill isn't too bad but I think the weekly food bill is possibly cheaper in the US. so they may seem expensive to them.

Hi Moorf and Veronica, Some of the items seem expensive to me, but then we're buying for a family rather than a couple and we're also quite happy to buy non-label products. Most things are cheaper at Pack and Save or Countdown. Some items from our shopping last week:

10 kg Potatoes NZ$3.99
    Tray of 30 medium eggs NZ$4.99
    1 medium chicken - around 1.6 kg NZ$5.99
    2 litres salad/cooking oil NZ$3.99
    Butter 1 kg NZ$3.00
    Full cream milk 2 litres NZ$2.60
    Diet Coca Cola 8 cans NZ$5.29

You'll find that prices for freshly grown New Zealand fruit/veg will fall as we move into summer and autumn.

p.s. Moorf, you'll notice that the choice of pre-prepared foods and meals is very limited compared with the UK. I'll be interested to hear what you make of the frozen pizza you've bought. If it's better than "just about edible" it will be unusual.

Hi All,

Firstly, am just about to have my Ourmate on toast for brekkie so shall compare tastes!! Didn't see anything labelled Marmite but with the advertising or Ourmate and the label it looks promising!!

The frozen pizza is a "Gourmet" one (hmmmm haha) so will see what it's like - didn't like the look of most of the prepacked foods but then we've never really been into them...

We shall check out PaknSave - although haven't seen one here yet - anyone in Chch advise on their locations??

Ok, I'm off to stick my finger in the Ourmate jar...

...... YEP - its the real thing.... YAY!! Perhaps they can't call it Marmite here as it translates into a v. rude Maori word?!!!

Anyway, thanks for the info and replies re the shopping list... will be interesting to see PaknSave prices...

Moorf

pac n save there is one on Moorhouse Ave on the north side just by Colombo street.

NZ Marmite is in a plastic jar with a red label. The name was already registered in NZ before thr 'real' MARMITE/Ourmate was imported so they decided on OURMATE. NZ Marmite tastes yuk! Vegimite is ok though not as strong a taste as Ourmate and less salty.

Karl

Cheers Veronica!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast