Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Removals fro UK to NZ

Yes, yes, yes - you need to oversee it.
    Pickfords packed our house contents (and car) up two weeks ago - we are now doing indoor camping for six weeks!
    Even with just two guys doing the packing (it took them two full days, with extra chappies being drafted in as they became available for a few hours (finished other jobs close by) it was busy. I'd done what others on the forum had advised - put stuff that wasn't to be packed into a separate room/cupboard with large 'DO NOT TOUCH' notices on - and still two items managed to get packed that I didn't want to be! Including my son's favourite orange shorts...
    Anyway, be there for the packing, and the more time you allow for the shipping to go before you the better - we'll hopefully just have two/three weeks in the holiday house we've rented outside Christchurch before our stuff turns up.
    It is weird at home at the moment - very empty house, but we've managed to borrow bare essentials from friends and family. Amazingly our two small boys have been fine about all of their toys disappearing - I went to the charity shop and bought a few books and odds and ends which seem to be fine at the moment..and can then be donated back to the charity shop when we leave.
    And it was pretty stressful getting ready for Pickfords - had lots and lots of cleaning and sorting to do. Husband had hundreds of tools to clean (he's a mechanic) and I had lots of horse gear to clean (too much good stuff to even think about selling - wanted to take it but knew I'd have to clean it really well). The relief of seeing Pickford's lorry turn up was immense - and now we're just down to the last few things to sort - like cancelling utilities and opening bank accounts. It's taklen the prerssure off our last few weeks here in the UK no end. I would thoroughly recommend it!

Good luck with it all.

Thanks Sophie..

Krustalia, wow, two weeks of indoor camping! Good effort.. I am wondering what we are going to do for a few days/week max!

Quote Originally Posted by Krustalia View Post
    Anyway, be there for the packing, and the more time you allow for the shipping to go before you the better - we'll hopefully just have two/three weeks in the holiday house we've rented outside Christchurch before our stuff turns up.
    I hope it all works out well for you as it most probably will, but just a word of warning - we know of a container that took 6 months to arrive from the UK and there have been plenty of cases that took more than 10 weeks.

Ian

Default Be prepared for trips to Warehouse etc. for basics.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles3 View Post

A conclusive option #1 then

I might try and get Pickfords here quite a bit earlier so that it reduces our absent time in NZ.

How have you managed that time, after arriving in NZ with just a few bags, until your stuff arrived?

We are fortunate that the company I am going to work for are putting us up for 6 weeks on arrival. All great, however it does mean that we will have a period where we will have no furniture and no place to live, after the initial six weeks!

It's our plan to stay where we are until our stuff arrives, whilst finding a place to rent, but it might not be financially viable, so was wondering what others have done/going to do?
    Our container took 5 months to arrive due to hold ups, so we had to get quite a few basics, we even had to buy a hoover! One good thing is you can buy and sell again on Trade Me! Or have 2 of everything! The main bug bear was that the clothes we had with us got very, very boring!

Quote Originally Posted by stu & amanda View Post
    Our container took 5 months to arrive due to hold ups, so we had to get quite a few basics, we even had to buy a hoover! One good thing is you can buy and sell again on Trade Me! Or have 2 of everything! The main bug bear was that the clothes we had with us got very, very boring!
    Wow, 5 months! Who did you use our of interest? We are planning to use Pickfords.

Just another vote for option one.

If you're planning on renting, 6 weeks is plenty to find somewhere. If you're planning on buying then maybe rent somewhere for 6 months while you get to know the area- or a couple of months in a furnished place but that could be pricey.

Thanks all for your input into this thread.

We have got Pickfords coming back today to confirm their quote etc.

We've decided to opt for 'camping', so that we can get our stuff away.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123