Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removals fro UK to NZ

Default Removals fro UK to NZ

Has anybody got any views on the best process to adopt in terms of when to get the removals people to empty the house, ready for shipping?

We have 2 options:

1. Just before we leave, meaning we will be house-less for a day or two, or;
    2. Just after we have left, leaving the co-ordination to parents here.

Or, maybe we need to re-think it completely??

it hardly seems fair to swan off and leave all that for someone else to sort out! its quite a lengthy process, and they would have to sign the papers when packing complete at the UK end.(which may have repercussions at the NZ end, as you have to vouch for what has been packed, and what needs MAF inspection when the container arrives.)

we had the removalists in a few days before we flew, then spent the couple of houseless days with the parents, which was quite nice to be able to relax and spend time with the family before we left.

good luck with the move!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I would definitely go with option 1 so that you can supervise the packing yourselves. Not that I'm a control freak It is easy to be "homeless" when surrounded by family and friends. And remember, if you get packed up here before you go, there will be fewer days of waiting for the container at the other end.

In my opinion there is no way you can leave the removals to someone else, however close they are to you. As pointed out above it is a lengthy process, you will probably be sorting stuff out as they are packing around you and you have to sign the papers.

I would personally advise the packers come a few days before you leave (especially if you have a house to sell) and the days without your stuff you spend with friends or family. We spent a few days in a holiday cottage nearby, would have been able to stay with friends if we didn't have 2 dogs and a cat with us. That way you have a couple of days of peace and quiet before leaving and time to sort out last minute things and catch up with friends etc.

Have to agree with everyone else - it really is a process you need to oversee. Apart from the work involved, you really need to be on top of what's packed with what, how things are listed on the inventory etc etc.

A conclusive option #1 then

I might try and get Pickfords here quite a bit earlier so that it reduces our absent time in NZ.

How have you managed that time, after arriving in NZ with just a few bags, until your stuff arrived?

We are fortunate that the company I am going to work for are putting us up for 6 weeks on arrival. All great, however it does mean that we will have a period where we will have no furniture and no place to live, after the initial six weeks!

It's our plan to stay where we are until our stuff arrives, whilst finding a place to rent, but it might not be financially viable, so was wondering what others have done/going to do?

We are lucky enough to have family in Wellington where we will base ourselves, however we are planning to hire a small campervan for the initial couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    That way you have a couple of days of peace and quiet before leaving and time to sort out last minute things and catch up with friends etc.
    I wish! Not with a 21 month old rushing about like something possessed!

Good plan about the camper van, although prob not for us, for the same reason as above!

We're planning to work it out so that the removal firm empty our house 3 weeks or so before we actualy leave. We'll stay with my parents for most of the remaining time, with a holiday to my grandparents' thrown in too.

Hopefully this will reduce our waiting time at the other end, when we'll be staying with MiL and possibly visiting some of hubby's other rellies

Thinking more about this today, I think we are going to end up getting our stuff shipped early, due to the timings being right near to Xmas.. Don't want extra storage on top of what is already mounting costs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast