Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Howick

Default Info on Howick

We are moving to Nz. And I am currently negotiating for a rent in Howick. However, before engaging in any firm booking, I would like to have more information on info in terms of neighbourhood, vicinity, access to shops/markets/ schools etc....

Thanks

JM

We are staying here at the moment, it is very nice and very central, you wont make a mistake. Which street is it in? Can have a look see for you.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We drove through Howick last year and really liked it. If we had ended up in Auckland it was definitely a place we would have considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieds View Post
    We are staying here at the moment, it is very nice and very central, you wont make a mistake. Which street is it in? Can have a look see for you.
    It's in Cook Street. We can arrange for a meet-up someday.

Are there IT companies nearby for job hunt?

Regards

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by jeanmarcJ202 View Post
    It's in Cook Street. We can arrange for a meet-up someday.

Are there IT companies nearby for job hunt?

Regards

Jean-Marc
    Hey we live in Howick (well Cockle Bay but it's pretty close!!), we've been here nearly 3 months now and we love it. What we like about it are the easy access to loads of beaches (Bucklands, Eastern, Howick, Cockle Bay), lot's of nice walking areas (especially the Mangemangeroa walkway), good restaurants, good pubs and the fact it's got eclectic shopping in the village but yet only 10 mins drive from Botany and all the main shops.

In Howick it's self there is a Foodtown, in Highland Park a Woolworths and in Botany a Pak N Save, New World and Countdown so all the main supermarkets are covered.

There is a fruit world on Moore Street and a couple of local butchers.

Most of the main banks are also represented and their is a a Post shop too.

The only downside is that it takes an hour on the bus to the CBD but to be honest we have only been a couple of times since we got here and parking is really cheap at the weekends!!

I've lived in Howick too for just over 2 years and like the area too. Good views across to Waiheke Island and Rangitoto and the sea's excellently sheltered for kayaking too.

However it's important where you're working as it would be a nasty commute to the CBD that's for sure. IMHO opinion unless you known that, you could be tying yourselve to a long commute. Schoolwise, it's important that you're in a catchment area for a good one, I can't comment myself what's what there though.

Certainly Cook Street's an east stroll into the centre of Howick, well served with a library, pubs, local shops and a large foodtown.

My commute to Mt Wellington is just about 30-40 mins, takes me a similar time on the bike.

Thanks for all

What are companies offering IT jobs in the surroundings?

Regards

JM

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
    However it's important where you're working as it would be a nasty commute to the CBD that's for sure. IMHO opinion unless you known that, you could be tying yourselve to a long commute.
    There's always the ferry from Half Moon Bay, a few quiet kms away.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanmarcJ202 View Post
    Thanks for all

What are companies offering IT jobs in the surroundings?

Regards

JM
    I (Matt) work in East Tamaki, there are lots of head offices of companies around there that might have IT jobs. It's around 10km from Howick and a easy 15-20 min drive or 25 min cycle (which is what I do most of the week)!!

I know there were some IT jobs going where I work (Farmers) but they have all been filled recently.

I guess it also depends what kind of IT work you do.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolate cake View Post
    However it's important where you're working as it would be a nasty commute to the CBD that's for sure. IMHO opinion unless you known that, you could be tying yourselve to a long commute. Schoolwise, it's important that you're in a catchment area for a good one, I can't comment myself what's what there though.
    We don't have kids in school over here but the estate agents always make a big thing about a house being in the Macleans College Zone (Catchment area) so that must be a good thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast