Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: En Suite

Default En Suite

Has anybody had an en suite or a new bathroom put into their house (not a refurbishment of an exisiting bathroom but an entirely new one)?

We've got a "sun room" off our bedroom that is currently being used as an office and storage but would make an ideal en suite - especially now that the kids are starting to be toilet trained so there is a little bit of competition for the only loo in the house!

Any tips on the process that we need to go through to get it in? I'm assuming that we need resource consent as it will be a changed to the existing plumbing but haven't done the resource consent thing before.

Also any idea of prices? We don't want anything too flash so would prefer not to break the bank!

When we talk 'resource consent' or simply, a building permit, it's hard not to complete the project on a tight budget. City council engineers like detailed drawings and not something done on a piece of scrap paper (which was an acceptable way many many decades ago). So at minimum you'll need to have a draftsman to produce some drawings and has the know about acceptable building codes. Then it's simply just submit it in and hope they don't come back with too many queries.

Prices.. Maybe $1K to get the ball rolling (drawings and consent fee). Actual material costs and # of labour hours could be any figure.

Here's an old thread that may have some useful info, James. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-10294.html

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    When we talk 'resource consent' or simply, a building permit,

Resource Consent and Building Consent are entirely different!

Re North Shore City have a look here: http://www.northshorecity.govt.nz/Se...ceConsent.aspx and here http://www.northshorecity.govt.nz/Se...ngConsent.aspx

I assume you won't need a resource consent but just a building consent.

Why complicate terminology with fancy words and just say "building permit" I've found in NZ, both terms Resources and Building Consent to be used synonymously.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    Why complicate terminology with fancy words and just say "building permit" I've found in NZ, both terms Resources and Building Consent to be used synonymously.
    Because they are different, perhaps?!

Where in NZ did you find this??

We are dealing day to day with these documents and everyone involved "seems" to know about the difference!!

Resource Consents and Building Consents here are managed by different organisations: Otago Regional Council (http://www.orc.govt.nz/Information-a...urce-consent1/) and Dunedin City Council (http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/services/...u-need-consent)

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    Has anybody had an en suite or a new bathroom put into their house (not a refurbishment of an exisiting bathroom but an entirely new one)?

Also any idea of prices? We don't want anything too flash so would prefer not to break the bank!
    We had a builder in to give us an indication of costs for doing some work & for the life of me, I can't remember what he quoted for an ensuite! He did indicate about 8 - 10k for refurbishing our bathroom for a "mid-range suite", including moving the shower into the bathroom. (I think we still have the original bathroom from the 70's, though 'recently' painted, ahem, a lovely lilac shade so its in need of a lot of TLC.) We'd need building consent as some of the plumbing would need to be moved & I want to move the hot water cylinder, which would also include switching to mains pressure, so would be an extra cost.

Not exactly what you were looking for, I know, but hopefully you're ensuite would be less than the 10k we've been quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by lin View Post
    Not exactly what you were looking for, I know, but hopefully you're ensuite would be less than the 10k we've been quoted.
    That would be great - I'm sort of hoping that we'll be able to get it with this year's bonus and maybe have to put in a little bit of savings; so around $10k would be perfect!

I forgot that resource and building consents were different things - and as it is I wasn't sure if we would need resource due to the age of the villa.

My parents have a place in the UK where they needed planning permission to replace part of a door-frame after it was kicked in by the fire brigade due to us having locked ourselves out with a roast cooking in the oven; as a result of this experience the pettiness of local government building rules is something that I expect - especially when it comes to minor work in relatively old properties!

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    I forgot that resource and building consents were different things - and as it is I wasn't sure if we would need resource due to the age of the villa.

My parents have a place in the UK where they needed planning permission to replace part of a door-frame after it was kicked in by the fire brigade due to us having locked ourselves out with a roast cooking in the oven; as a result of this experience the pettiness of local government building rules is something that I expect - especially when it comes to minor work in relatively old properties!
    I don't know about Auckland, but the Marlborough Council staff have been so friendly and helpful whenever I've been in to look at the property file. They keep giving me the brochuere explaining what different Building consents are & when they're required.

You might be able to get a better indication of costs from this website (I love the site name!!): http://builderscrack.co.nz/cost-esti...=t&j69=t&j70=t

I do hope that roast was worth the expense!

Had two quotes in - the first said not to bother with building consent as these old buildings have almost nothing on their records so who is to say that the ensuite hasn't just been updated; his quote was $15k. The second quoted us $20k and said that we would need to spend another $10k getting consent (which, to me, shows how ridiculously out of touch the idiots at North Shore City Council are).

Unless the third comes in cheaper we'll have to scrap the idea I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast