Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denied entry to NZ due to pending medicals

Default Denied entry to NZ due to pending medicals

Hi all,

I would like to know whether there are anybody out there who was denied entry to NZ, on the pretext that the medicals have not been cleared yet by NZIS.

This is happening to me right now, I mean I was informed by my VO that I am not even allowed to travel to NZ visa-free for holiday/social visit (although my stay will be less than 3 months, and also I have booked an outward passage to my own country). Reason is my medicals are currently being evaluated. I admit that I never know that such "blackout period" exists for those in the "surreal world of the MAs" as someone has put it !

Never heard of that either; I suggest you ask your VO when this rule came in effect and where you can read more about it.

I've not heard about that either, in fact with the length of time that it can take for medical clearance (mine was 8-9 months long) I would have been extremely angry if I had flown to NZ to visit hubby's family (for instance) and been turned away!!

I was informed initially when I was refused a visa due to my "health not being of an acceptable standard" that I would not be able to enter NZ even on a visitor visa.

We were horrified at the time and felt penalised by the fact that we'd been up front and applied before we travelled rather than going as a visitor and then applying from within NZ. My case officer said that the airline would turn me (anyone in that situation) away and not allow them to fly.

Hi there,
    Sorry to hear. I think the health requirement document states that "What you have to provide depends on which category you are applying under, and how long you intend to stay in New Zealand."

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...C8E/0/1121.pdf

For example, if one applies for PR/Long term Work Visa and medicals are referred to MA AND through this period, the person in question wishes to travel to NZ....this will contradict "intention" of leaving the country, probably NZIS reads this line literally before making decision/advising in your case.

we went the the same thing it was very stressful with a job offer hanging in the process, I was told to leave my DS (7) and husband and go! um think not!

Thanks for the feedbacks.

So, it seems that it is really in place i.e. those who have their PR/visa application process ongoing (with presumably medical referral underway) will not be allowed at all to enter NZ, even visa-free for a social visit. That's what NZIS VOs are saying. I couldn't somehow find any information pertaining to this in the Operation Manual. If anyone did, please do inform me.

Nevertheless, I have noticed that a bunch of people, with PR application underway, went into NZ on a 'scouting mission', or a plain 'NZ trip'. My guess is that the difference is due to the fact that I have told my VO about my travel arrangement (because I needed some advice back then), whereas they didn't.

rupicola, I have previously asked my VO where I can read more about this, which policy explicitly comes into place, but I did not get any satisfactory answer. She just reiterates NZIS' stand which disallows anybody to enter NZ whilst their dossier is scrutinized by the MAs.

While the medical referral is underway, one is deemed not to have an acceptable standard of health, according to my VO. Guilty until proven innocent ? Funny world ...

Nevertheless, I have noticed that a bunch of people, with PR application underway, went into NZ on a 'scouting mission', or a plain 'NZ trip'. My guess is that the difference is due to the fact that I have told my VO about my travel arrangement (because I needed some advice back then), whereas they didn't.
    Or maybe their applications had not yet been granted just because they hadn't yet got through the office-work stage -these people you are thinking of didn't have their medicals referred to an MA, as there were no issues to be checked.

My OH's medical was referred to the MA and we travelled to NZ with our CO knowing this. We were pretty sure it was going to be resolved within a reasonable timescale (which thankfully it was) as was he, so no problem.

What I would say though is we travelled with pre-booked flights out of NZ within the required 6 month timescale that is required by UK citzens, however NZ Air had already agreed this would be refunded on the receipt of PR. For info I had flights booked for Auk to Sydney.

Gladly NZ airways refunded the flght cost to Oz pretty quickly on receipt of our PR.

kejktfc

kejktfc, well that's new, I didn't know any airline company which is so accommodating. And to say that you only needed to book an NZ-Oz flight as outward passage - that would be interesting since I believe that there are threads which mentioned that this is not allowed ...

I guess all of this would be purely academical from now on. I received an email from my VO yesterday stating that my medicals have been cleared (after 4 weeks of waiting from the 2nd MA request). Yay !

The funniest thing is, I have planned to celebrate this 'victory' with fried chicken (hey I'm asian btw, my diet is composed by a lot of fried stuffs by nature) and chocolate bars as dessert. And maybe a bottle of coke as well. Well, last night, I had baked food, a bit of meat, soup and fruits, while this morning it was low-fat yoghurt with oat bran. My intake for the last 1 month, which yields 7kg of weight loss, as I was prepping myself up for an eventual round of medical re-tests. I hate to say this but this medical rounds have been a blessing in disguise !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast