Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NZ bug experience

Default NZ bug experience

I just wanted to mention this because new migrants may not be aware (perhaps it has been posted about).

The story starts....one morning (first couple weeks in NZ) I got ready to eat my breakfast, my usual Corn Flakes. Poured Corn Flakes into my bowl...sprinkled some sugar on them looked over to grab the milk. At that moment, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something move in the Corn Flakes....thinking ....bahhh I must be seeing things, nothing could be in my Corn Flakes.....but Corn Flakes. So I eat my Corn Flakes up, yummy.

A week or so pass...I eat Corn Flakes. Then one day....I see something move on the shelf. Scratch my head.....hmmm seems to be some kinda silvery thin bug (approx 1cm long) in the area.

I wonder if?

Pour out the entire box of Corn Flakes. Oh **** there seem to be some of these silvery thin bugs in my Corn Flakes . So I check anything that is open...cereals, baking goods. SOB they are in the flour.

I mentioned this to one of our friends. They said ...oh yes make sure you put your cereals and baking goods in Tupperware containers or they will get into everything.

This happened in Dargaville....so I am not sure how common or widespread they are.
    Last edited by Addicted to NZ; 26th August 2010 at 04:33 AM.

Good advice.

This reminds me of when we were kids, living in Saudi, pouring milk on the cereal and waiting for the weevil-type bugs to float to the surface, scoop them out and carry on

Is that Silverfish? Aauuggh. We are plagued with them. I think we got them when I took home some papers and old photos from my grandmother's house after she died. Now they are everywhere. Good luck, and make sure you are fully awake before eating your breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by SueDonim View Post
    Is that Silverfish? Aauuggh. We are plagued with them. I think we got them when I took home some papers and old photos from my grandmother's house after she died. Now they are everywhere. Good luck, and make sure you are fully awake before eating your breakfast.
    Silverfish! That's the name.

Apart from various insecticides, sealing in food, and trying to eliminate damp as much as possible (have the dehumidifiers running near where you're finding them), I've seen it said that whole cloves and cinnamon left around will deter them.

Ugh, silverfish!!! I think they like paper, we find them in Steve's comic book boxes. (they're boarded and bagged though...the comics, not the bugs) Bummer that the bugs are in NZ, but it doesn't surprise me, they are very sneaky!

I hate those nasty things!! I haven't had any issues with them in our food...but now I'm a little paranoid and feel the need to inspect the pantry. LOL I've seen them around outside and in the garage, but thankfully not in the house. Now I feel a bit creeped out. LOL

We get pantry moth larvae in Northland..starts out with fine webs appearing in flour, spices cornmeal etc...then little worms then little silver moths. Get in the habit of putting your spices etc in well sealed jars. In the summer I put anything new in the freezer for a few days to kill the eggs that might be in there. I tried a pantry moth trap last year and caught zillions of them. Its a constant battle, I'm always looking for them. Just don't leave that box of cornmeal in your pantry...put the contents in a jar. Lots of spiders and bugs up here.

Hello and welcome to the forum. (You can leave the pantry moths at home!)

OMG! That is just so WRONG! Now I am going to be totally freaked out. Thankfully when our container arrives I will have LOTS of empty tupperware and I will be using it here. YUCK! I think I would have a heart attack if I found one of those freaky looking things in my cereal!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast