Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary School Visit - A Little Worried

Default Secondary School Visit - A Little Worried

I went to the open evening last night at one of 2 schools in town, and whilst watching the promotional video, I felt like they were advertising for a summer camp.
    Sport, sport sport, outdoor activities, sailing, jumping out of helicopters, white water rafting - not a mention of academia was made.
    Then the tour - we were taken round by a pupil, year 11 I think, she had a set of classrooms we were to visit, lots of activities in the classroom, Japanese language teacher wrote the kids names for them and they all did a quick origami but when I tried to ask the teacher about the actual subject, she wasn't interested in talking to me. She did point out the video that was playing showing the last school trip to Japan!!
    Maths, we were given a small piece of paper with certain facts on - a bit like the trump cards, we had to take 2 stickers and place them on 2 charts on the wall to say whether we had a 'boy' card or 'girl' card and what length their right foot was. There was an incidental timetable on the wall stating what would be covered in year 9, seemed a little basic, measurement, fractions, and starting geometry.
    English, we had to match up characters to books and then we were given a chew at the end for the winner!! I did have a chance to ask what was being studied in literature, and was told that they read modern novels, no classics, no chance to study different styles of writing, just what the kids may find fun. No plays, no poetry, they did try and engage them in Shakespeare in year 11 though!!!
    Geography - none of that until year 11!!!!!!!
    No history class was visited.
    Social Studies, a little old lady of 83 - it's true She was reliving the past with an old pupil she taught 22 years ago!!
    Computer studies - so very important I'm sure yo9u would agree - taught for 1 term in year 9, 2 terms in year 10 then for the full year in year 11!!!
    How on earth is my son supposed to compete in the ever decreasing job market of the world??
    They did have a recording studio though - state of the art!!!

Cath XX

Welcome to New Zealand.....

Sounds pretty soft. Especially if they are unwilling to discuss academics. Seems a visit to the other one is due.

Quote Originally Posted by cathgates View Post
    How on earth is my son supposed to compete in the ever decreasing job market of the world??
    He isn't! He is "only" supposed to work in the job market of NZ.

(Isn't that one of the reasons you are - to work the NZ way and not to compete the "world's" way ?!)

I'm off to the other school tonight. With all fingers and toes crossed that things are better!!

Cath XX

Look forward to reading what the other school was like

That does seem a little basic - my daughter is already starting with basic geometry and fractions in year 1! Computers are an integral part of the classroom and curriculum as well. Check out the other school!

That sounds dreadful.. I hope the other school is better!

(I admit that I think the UK is over-curriculumed - yes, that is a word, I just made it up - but that's just stupid!)

Thumbs up Taupo schools

Both Nui and Tauhara place a big empahsis on sport but both provide a good solid standard of education - but be prepared for the Nui V Tauhara rugby matches .
    Pop to both and also try n meet the deans for the years. Another good pointer is the Taupo Times which does write ups on both college achievements.
    My preference was for Tauhara as we live in Botanical Heights area and my son totally loved it from start to finish and is now happily working in town in his preferred trade.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cathgates View Post
    Computer studies - so very important I'm sure yo9u would agree - taught for 1 term in year 9, 2 terms in year 10 then for the full year in year 11!!!
    Cath XX
    There are very good reasons for that spread of Computer Studies, no need to go into detail (but will do if you like) but I teach, amongst other things, computing, and for me that is an ideal timetable for the subject. Teaching is a highly skilled, professional job, teachers are the most caring and selfless professionals you are ever likely to come across. Rest assured the standard of education in this country is very high, and innovative, believe it or not....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast