Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phone and broadband

Default phone and broadband

Can anyone help? OH and I are budgeting for rental property and have looked online at the cost of phone and broadband and there seems to be a lot of choice and so many different packages that I am now a little confused. Who would people recommend and how much for phone that includes reasonably priced calls to the UK and a broadband package that would allow us to use skype on a regular basis.

If you are looking for short-term mobile internet access to get you going, it seems that 2Degrees are offering quite a good deal on their mobile broadband.

Have a look here: http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/broa...one-data-packs

I think it's what we are going to do on arrival just to 'keep connected'

I will be interested to see what replies you get on this..

we have Orcon for phone & broadband, no long term contracts (30 day notice to cancel), $10 for all my (1hr) calls to Ireland. I'm happy with the service so far.

Thanks for the mobile link - just bought one from Vodafone today for the last month we're in the UK - hadn't thought about when we arrive.

for mobile broadband 2 degress if you can get it is really good but check that the area you will be in is covered as it is still patchy. We could only get a service with 2degress if we did there out of area charge which used vodaphone as its server and this was more expensive. We went with telecom for mobile broadband and so far it has worked out really well. I'm now looking longer term so we can have a home phone as well.

we are with telestra clear. good cable broadband and added international yak pak on the phone package for $20 or so and we can chat away to UK (which has proved useful to sort things out)

Please all people do check WOOSH internet rates. I found them to be cheaper. But they just charge u one time for the equipment i.e; 50 dollars for modem and 100 dollars for router. Other than that its cheaper if you only need broad band like me. Its 50 dollars for 10GB . I think I can never utilize this 10GB limit. But for telstra clear it was 75 dollars but they dont take any money for the equipment. Woosh cancellation charges are 100 dollars and telstra are 200. Having phonelines with broadband have difference packages for both of these companies.

FOr calling ur home UK or any country I think for landlines please check skype as it offers now cheap packages for different countries. Get those subscriptions which will be I guess cheaper than phones and voice quality is also excellent.

I was with Orcon and had the 1 hr calls to US included but I NEVER used all the data and if you go over the 1 hour by a few minutes, you will be hit with very high charges. And calling mobiles is $$$ too.

Much better deal: http://www.xnet.co.nz/fusion/

you get phone features, broadband etc for a reasonable price.

but you have to use one of the approved modems.

I think b/c we're remote (Coopers Beach, Northland), our best option is Vodafone for service & they offer 3G extended so it's 20+ miles off shore too (for when out boating):

Mobile phone is: $39.95mo for 60 any minutes;600 texts;1 Free best mate (unltd txt,calls to mate); Free Nokia 2730
    "Naked" Broadband: $55/mo for 10GB (or $65/mo for 30GB)

Does this look like a competitive deal?
    Is 10GB enough or should we do 30GB? We're just web/internet surfers/email -- but WILL use Skype regularly to keep in touch with family.

Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast