Thread: Shed question

Default Shed question

Hey guys, bear with me if this has been asked already but still getting used to the forums and not found anything as yet to asnwer my query ... so here goes.

Is it feasible or even allowed to ship your garden shed out to NZ? And if yes, where can I find out more about any particular treatments the shed has to have before being shipped.

Obviously I know there are tight restrictions on flora and fauna coming into the country, and I would imagine that a shed (being wood and tending to house all sorts of bug life) would be something that you would have to be very careful over transporting.

All advice and tips gladly received

Vik

Do you really have:
    - the time to dismantle a shed
    - the time to check it for infection and treat it
    - the time to clean it a couple of times
    - the space in your container
    - the patience for the additional aggro from MAF

Have compared the price of sheds in NZ and found them too expensive or simply not seen a model that you like?

Yes, you would be allowed to ship your shed if you want to, subject to the regulations you say you already know about biological checks. It would definitely be inspected upon arrival, and the slightest thought that there is any trace of organic material on/in it would lead to the whole contents of your container being fumigated, so you'd need to be extremely sure your cleaning/disinfecting was efficient, and seen to be so.

So that will be the shed first on the list of things for sale once we know we have been accepted

Shame cos it's a really big shed, and easily dismantled to go in a container (would go with us in a removals lorry if we got moved here in the UK as well) but, like you say, can I guarantee that it's been totally decontaminated? errm simple answer is NO and I aint taking the risk!

Vik

Wise move - I have already sold things I know I can't get clean enough to satisfy bio control
    such as my dearly beloved cement mixer and a lawn mower so far.
    (Yes, cement mixer . . . I'm that kinda Girl)

LOL @ cement mixer

The other thing of ours that will also go onto the sell list is the trampoline - no way am I trying to wash the netting on that thing to pass muster! My cats sleep on it, its part way under a tree and we have an ant problem every summer in the garden. it's a biohazard all of its own

If your buying then you may find the house all ready has one, all the houses we have looked at do & we got one with this house, a tin one, quite big too