Thread: Nzqa - information from current employers

Wink Nzqa - information from current employers

I am currently teaching in England and we are looking to move to NZ (hopefully) in 2012. When I have looked at the things the NZQA need for verification they want something from my current employer about position, duties etc. However, I have not mentioned this at school yet for various reasons, namely we may get rejected before we even start, and even if we were successful we do not want to move for at least two years. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you get around it? Could I possibly get a headed letter from the council I work for rather than the school? Don't know what else I could do.

NZQA also mention transcripts - I have not heard of these before. Anyone else in the same position? Am I right in thinking that it is a list of modules taken on degree/postgrad? Don't think I acutally have anything like this and it was a while ago now I completed my course how would I get these?

They also ask for "certified copy of complete official academic syllabus/curriculum"???????

Hope someone can help - probably being a bit blonde but seems like loads of stuff I'm not sure of and only just at beginning of process.

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by dwgdog; 28th August 2010 at 03:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwgdog View Post
    I am currently teaching in England and we are looking to move to NZ (hopefully) in 2012. When I have looked at the things the NZQA need for verification they want something from my current employer about position, duties etc. However, I have not mentioned this at school yet for various reasons, namely we may get rejected before we even start, and even if we were successful we do not want to move for at least two years. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you get around it? Could I possibly get a headed letter from the council I work for rather than the school? Don't know what else I could do.
    Simply ask your employer for a work reference letter and if they ask why say that its personal... then don't volunteer any further information.

There are lots of reasons why you could be asking for such a letter ranging from a applying for a mortgage, a car loan or getting a divorce, etc. Most HR departments will understand your need for privacy.

Make sure that you ask that the letter confirms your full-time and permanent employee status. And ask for TWO copies.

NZQA also mention transcripts - I have not heard of these before. Anyone else in the same position? Am I right in thinking that it is a list of modules taken on degree/postgrad? Don't think I acutally have anything like this and it was a while ago now I completed my course how would I get these?
    My wife had a similar problem, the original college had changed names and then been amalgamated into the nearby uni. Contact them (by phone preferably) and get them to confirm they're responsible for the records of college X and also ask them for transcripts explaining that you need them for emigration reasons.

certified copy of complete official academic syllabus/curriculum
    Ask a solicitor (or a solicitor friend, if you have one) to certify any documents and accept that they will charge for this service. My wife is a police officer and managed to get the lot done for a couple of house plants

I've replied to your question about transcripts on one of your other threads.

Regarding your current position - I totally understand as I'd not long started a new job when I asked for a letter from the HT! However I did explain that the process 'can take up to 5 years' so she was happy that I wasn't going to leg it anytime soon (or that's what I led her to believe )

I found it best to be *cough* upfront at my school for lots of reasons - I was worried that the TC may contact my school anyway, so as with any job move I thought it only right the school should be prior warned from me first. Secondly you can use the HT for the certified copies - mine did like a huge pile for me completely free of charge of course! These HTs do come in useful sometimes you know (I did say 'sometimes' )

My HT is great so I don't think it would be any problem just didn't want to upset any boats. Doing really well there at the min.