Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I bring?

Default Should I bring?

I am just going through the process of deciding what to leave and what to bring. Mostly I'm following the advice from previous threads to 'bring everything and sell what you don't need when you get here' but I don't want to bring anything that won't work out there. So is there any point in bringing...

dishwasher
    digital TV
    DAB radio
    sky box
    DVD players and DVDs
    fridge freezer?

Oh and what about a three year old manual transmission fiat punto for my daughters to get around in? Is it worth the shipping fee?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShineyPeople View Post
    dishwasher
    digital TV
    DAB radio
    sky box
    DVD players and DVDs
    fridge freezer?

Oh and what about a three year old manual transmission fiat punto for my daughters to get around in? Is it worth the shipping fee?

Thanks
    Good question, for most of the items the answer sort of depends...

dishwasher - seems standard in NZ for most houses already, so you may well end up with a spare.

digital tv - I assume you mean freeview, in which case NZ system is different so the 'digital' part won't be much good. You can still use it as a 'monitor' and plug NZ sky or freeview into it.

DAB radio - NZ system is DAB+ and still only available in a few places, is the radio also a standard FM radio in which case it would still be useful.

sky box - different system in NZ so not worth bringing.

DVD players and DVDs - will still work in NZ, if not multi-region won't be able to play NZ DVDs but most players can be changed and if not will still be able to play current collection.

fridge freezer -depends on style, if it is a big (wide) freezer then it may not fit in the kitchen as most seem to only have space for a 'standard' size freezer - sure that you could still use it though.

Will let someone else answer about the fiat punto, but will say that there are very few of them are in NZ so may be difficult and expensive for parts.

Ian

Thanks Ian, that's helped a lot. I hadn't thought about getting parts for the car etc. The shippers advised us to bring it (they would wouldn't they!) because they said cars were very expensive in NZ and it would cost us twice as much to replace it, but with the shipping and cleaning costs I was beginning to wonder if it was such a good idea.

Haven't seen that many fiats over here - can't imagine seervicning will be that easily. Does the Punto share a platform / engine wih any of the japanese cars? Thay may keep costs down on some mechanicals, but bodywork would be a mare.

Hi Duncan, I haven't a clue about cars, so I don't know if it is similar to a Japanese make. I didn't want to sell it here because I bought it from new and you lose so much money on a new car. If it's going to be difficult to service, expensive for parts and by the sound of it, hard to sell in two years time, perhaps I should take the hit now and buy something more practical when we land. We have a Zafira MPV too, but that is older and probably not worth shipping either so I am giving it to my son and daughter in law to soften the blow of us leaving! Thanks for your help

We got rid of a 2 year old Saab 9-5 with 30k on it and I don't regret that having now got here.

Well that kind of puts it into perspective - autotrader it is then!

your better off buying a japanese car, parts are inexpensive and they keep going i have seen them with 280k and running very well

always check the cambelts changed and check the coolent as the japanese see cars as a throw away items which they don't bother to service

so beware when buying one....get it checked

if you get a good one it will give you pretty much good service

Thank you, that sounds like good advice!

A friend of mine who - today in fact, Father's Day! - just became a Dad for the first time - brought his beloved Skoda with them. Not entirely sure just how many Skodas there are here, but he has never regretted it. He had all their belongings packed around it. To put it in perspective, we shipped only 27' of a 40' container from the US, and didn't ship a car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast