Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School supplies and more

Question School supplies and more

What should I bring? We have 3 more months to go !!! Time flies
    I know each school requires different supplies, but since we didn't decide which school to enroll our kids yet, I am wondering what should I bring from US that would be much more expensive there?
    Our boys will start Year 2 & Year 3 in Feb.
    We already bought lots of clothes, (you guys were scaring me $150 a pear of jeans!!!) Here you can find them @ $10
    Got already new bikes for the entire family
    What else should we buy?

Thanks for any input

Good job with the bikes ...and good luck finding a proper school for the kids.

Vionz,

I have asked this question earlier, and am not sure either what to bring for school supplies. I just bought the basic stuff that will be useful in long run. I think the school supply the things required for a reasonable cost. Although my LO is gonna go only to a kindy in couple of months, I got

1. Kleen Kanteen Steel water bottles for all of us
    2. Crayons, pens, pencils
    3. Notebooks, construction papers.
    4. Lunch boxes, Lunch backpack ( insulated)
    5. Socks
    6. Shoes
    7. Underware.
    8. Clothes - good for atleast 2,3 more years
    9. germx wipes
    10. Ziplocs
    12. Sandwich box, cheerios box, etc.,
    13. Some new Books and DVDs to use now, and for future.

These are on top off my head right now. I think anything you feel your kids like is worth buying.

Cheers and good luck
    Spk

My son is in year 2, his school charges an annual stationery fee (around $25 from memory) that covers all his books and the shared classroom supplies, so we don't have to supply anything ourselves. Some schools give parents a stationery list and ask that parents buy exactly the things on the list so that the children all have the same things. And you can buy all that stuff pretty cheaply at places like Warehouse Stationery when they have a sale. So I wouldn't worry too much about bringing school supplies.

In my experience, inexpensive shoes in NZ suck, so shoes are worth bringing

and good luck finding a proper school for the kids.
    That's a very vague and unhelpful statement, would you care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post

That's a very vague and unhelpful statement, would you care to elaborate?
    Just wishing good luck!
    Is it wrong just to say good luck to another person when you don't know the subject (don't have kids)?
    Last edited by anthony; 28th August 2010 at 11:19 AM.

Thank you!
    I'll do more shopping this weekend

Regarding shoes: don't the pupils need to wear certain shoes in schools that come with the uniform? I was looking on schools website photos and it seems kids wear black shoes or black sandals.

I got already some nice backpacks My boys are so happy they start school next week...They were keep asking when is the summer vacation over?
    It is so funny, they don't quite realize they'll attend school for only 2 months in US and then they'll have another summer vacation

Antonilarion - I apologize, I misinterpreted your comment as sarcasm. I was wrong.

shoes - it depends on the school - my son's school says they have to wear certain shoes, but actually the kids wear all kinds of shoes/jandals/bare feet and, as long as the rest of their uniform is correct, no one cares. But some schools are probably stricter.

Hello,
    Just wanted to say - don't worry! Here in New Zealand, in Wellington at least, you can buy everything you need. Yes, it may be more expensive and I must admit there is a problem with shoes for children (at least in my personal experience where my 9 year old child has the same size shoes as me). Jeans for $150 - that's for adult Levis in the Levis shop on the poshest street in Wellington. I just bought a pair of jeans for my child at $27 and a top for $20 from Pumpkin Patch. Just speaking from personal experience, my child's school is very laid back with clothes and shoes, jeans, jandals etc and that's just the teachers. Some primary schools have uniforms, as do high schools. School stationery lists vary from school to school, exercise books can only be bought here and otherwise it is pencils, rubbers etc, the usual. As mentioned above sometimes schools have specific named brand requirements to ensure all pupils have the same things. We went to one school for one month and then changed as we moved and the list was quite different for both with regards to exercise books etc.
    Re books and DVDs, there are loads of DVD rental shops and you can also rent DVDs from the library cheaply. Books are in my opinion expensive but I have not needed or wanted to buy any since arriving here. I have discovered a few on my bookshelf I have never read and the library is excellent! (all this info relates purely to wellington..)

All the best

P.S. My husband has just said bring a kayak and a fishing rod and everything will be sweet as...

Smile

Hello from a former Seattle-ite,
    Our girls' school had a supply list, and asked us not to bring things to school that were not on the list. Last year to make it even more convenient we could place an order online through a local stationary store and the supplies were delivered to us.

Most schools also have a required uniform, (including socks and a sunhat) and will let you know where to buy them. We found Postie shops a good place for the uniform, as they may be less expensive that the bigger uniform shops. As for shoes, don't worry to much, if your children have a pair of tennis shoes (referred to as "trainers" here) they will most likely be okay.
    Clothes, shoes in general are expensive, but the kids won't need them except for the muffti days (sp?) where the kids have an opportunity to where their street/everyday clothes, and weekends. It does save on washing, in my opinion!
    It will be different for high school where they are more strict on the whole uniform, but since your children are younger, no worries on that yet!
    BTW we moved here to Christchurch nearly 2 years ago, hard to believe.
    Good luck with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonkiwi View Post
    I apologize, I misinterpreted your comment as sarcasm. I was wrong.
    It's OK. Probably, it is my "not-so-good" English because I never seen that meaning .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast