Thread: Marine Insurance Question

Default Marine Insurance Question

Mould & mildew cover

It is recommended that mould & mildew cover is taken for spoilage of goods in transit, sounds reasonable.
    However reading the small print of the Pickfords policy this only covers ingress of water causing damp mildew - not condensation which TBH I think will be the most likely cause of damp & damage in transit. Is that a get out clause for the insurers?
    Does anybody have any words of advice, as to wether or not the extra cost is worth the paper it's written on?

More questions:

I'm shopping around for Marine cargo insurance, pickfords want £857 all risks + mildew cover for £22,000 worth of stuff to ship (@3% value plus .5% for the mildew cover)
    Is this reasonable?
    Seems steep to me . . . .

I have very often seen Letton Percival recommended on here - could be worth seeing what they would quote.

Hi, I used Letton Percival twice but have never had to make a claim, there was mention of mould and mildew cover but I don't think it was an extra charge, it seemed to be included.

Quick response quote applied for . . . will post the results for the benefit of all.

Just a word regarding mould and mildew- when we came over we had the minimum insurance cover, because we figured that not a lot of containers get completely lost :-))...., and we definitely had any insurance against mild, mildew, condensation or the like.
    None of our things were the slightest bit humid or smelling- I packed freshly washed linen and it came out of the box after 6 weeks of journey plus 6 weeks of storage still smelling like that.
    Our shippers told us that there should be no humidity in a container at all- and it worked for us.

We used Letton Percival, seemed very efficient but we fortunately didn't make a claim. Nothing in our container seemed at all mouldy despite being loaded in snow. There was a very pervasive smell of Jeyes Fluid though in certain boxes. (that could be because I was cleaning and drying stuff seconds before it got packed, being not very organised)

(things only go mouldy when you actually get to New Zealand and have a damp house....)

Thanks all - I was wondering about that . . . seems to me an easy way to extract another .5% from vulnerable customers. Praise be to our information network here at ENZ.

Reply from Letton Percival - (yes that quick!)

£493.50 for same value and mix of items

Have a look at this and some of the photo links when thinking about what level of container insurance to get...
    http://www.veromarine.co.nz/dirvz/ma...otoFeature0007

eeeeK!