Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sell me Dunedin!!!

Default Sell me Dunedin!!!

Hi all, Do you live in Dunedin? If so, what do you like the most about the place and whats your biggest gripe if any??? Thanks

You really are hooked on LotR, eh Frodo? Want to be one of the Dúnedain?

Well I am the height of a hobbit, if the cap fits.....

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Hi all, Do you live in Dunedin? If so, what do you like the most about the place and whats your biggest gripe if any??? Thanks
    I like that it is a city by NZ standard, i.e. the facilities on offer are similar to an "actual" city in Europe. In reverse it is still quite small, i.e. you don't spend much time travelling and "always" meet someone you know when going shopping or the like.
    We love our "backyard", i.e. Otago Peninsula with its nature, especially its fauna.Distances to Central Otago, Catlins and Southland are within reach for a day trip.
    The climate is already more maritime than Central Otago, i.e. much less frost than Queenstown (and also Christchurch). But not as much rain than in other known regions.

Biggest gripe is the new stadium and its implications; it is plain ugly and - most of all - costs for us rate payers.

PS: I assume that you visited Dunedin during your first stint here so I will not elaborate on all the "tourist attractions".

Thanks for that Ralf, yeah we have been to Dunedin a couple of times and to the Catlins but I have found living in a place and having a weekend break, a place can turn out to be totally different, hence us leaving Nelson after 6 months!! If the stadium is your biggest gripe that sounds good to me

Maybe looking at what denilapop (sp?) wrote about their experience with Nelson and now Dunedin might give you some further help/ information?

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Maybe looking at what denilapop (sp?) wrote about their experience with Nelson and now Dunedin might give you some further help/ information?
    It is denalipop; this is probably the link you are referring to.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....hlight=dunedin

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    ... I have found living in a place and having a weekend break, a place can turn out to be totally different ...
    Yep, I know.

Just shoot if you have any further - more detailed - questions as so much depends on your personal circumstances / requirements etc.

Thanks for all your help and I will def take you up on the offer (you may regret this)

Just a wee one to start off with but where in Dunedin is good for sun and say keeping a few chooks and a vege garden??

Im living in Dunedin and its a great place to live.I love the pennisula and all the hills,nothing is too far away.The scenery is stunning and the place friendly and welcoming.It is much sunnier than England and the weather is ok.Dunedin has good weather like everywhere else.
    Housing can be a problem like anywhere else but if you choose carefully,a place in the sun your half way there.
    Helen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast