Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electricals and white goods from UK

Default Electricals and white goods from UK

I've been wondering about compatibility of electrical equipment between the UK and NZ. I gather that NZ uses the same voltage as UK, so will I need to do no more than change the plug?

What about plumbing and gas? We wanted to bring over a washer/dryer and a gas cooker. Will it be easy enough to get someone to hook these up in our new place?

Short answer. Should be no problem! The gas cooker I would get a registered gas fitter to do the install.

HI,

Yes mostly your UK equipment will work without a problem. For larger items eg tumble dryers you may require a 13 amp socket to be wired as NZ is typically 10A.

TV's can be used as monitors with a sky box/freeview box as my understanding is that it is a slightly differenct system. DVD players may be regionalised, but will at least play a UK DVD!

I'm sure that you will get more technical replies later!

Depends where you are as to the availability of gas, and if its bottles then you may not want it at all, ot you may need to convert the gas appliances.

Washer dryer may be OK, but as it will be 13amp then you'l need to get the standard 10NZ socket upgraded in most cases. Some may already have a 15A socket in the laundry room, but assume not. Was a thread on this a fortnight ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    We wanted to bring over a washer/dryer and a gas cooker. Will it be easy enough to get someone to hook these up in our new place?
    When you buy or rent a property most places will come with the cooker included so you might find that yours is surplus to requirements.

Be careful that you can get spare parts here. If you bring most whiteware you won't get parts for it.

Make sure, if you bring a fridge or freezer that you leave it to stand for AT LEAST 12 hours after it arrives so the bubbles in the coolant have time to settle out.

With the gas cooker, I'm not sure but there could be saftey codes locally...I know that the safety and emmsions ratings for cars are NOT necessarilly accepted here.

How would I know if it needs a 13 amp socket?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    How would I know if it needs a 13 amp socket?
    What does it say on the appliance or in the manual?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    What does it say on the appliance or in the manual?

Ian
    Aren't most washing machines and dryers 13A as standard?

Quote Originally Posted by noodles3 View Post
    Aren't most washing machines and dryers 13A as standard?
    The fuse will be because in teh UK we don't have a 10 amp fuse - 3, 5 or 13. Appliances over here are rated at 10A, and in many cases that means the Aus/NZ model will be slightly different, often with reduced spin speeds to limit the current draw. However, just because it has a 13A fuse in the UK doesn't mean it will draw 12.99Amps at peak. In theory it may be designed to draw 5.0001A at peak, so is supplied with a 13A fuse. Ok, so it's highly unlikely that it would only draw 5A for a washer dryer, but you cant' tell the actual draw from the fuse that's supplied.

But please check back to the discussions we've had on this over the last couple of months, both choice of machines, and the implications of using a 13A rated UK machine in NZ - both on a stadard 10A socket and what's involved in getting a socket upgraded to 15A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast