Thread: Anyone else feel like a spare part when the shippers arrive?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Anyone else feel like a spare part when the shippers arrive?

I think someone once described them on here as locusts and that's pretty accurate. Four guys swarming around the house "eating up" everything we own! The truck is bigger than the container too! Maybe we should have ordered one of those!

Don't stand too still - they'll pack YOU!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

LOL! I escaped to work after a couple of hours! Hubby has that pleasure now!

Mr Manks is a volunteer firefighter and we cordoned off a couple of rooms with the stuff we don't want packing, using "FIRE DO NOT CROSS" tape! They found that quite amusing!

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    using "FIRE DO NOT CROSS" tape!
    Oh that's good...

Our shippers arrive in two days time, so we have all that joy to come! Right now I'm desperately trying to get rid of the stuff we don't want to take (haven't room for!) and wishing I'd started this earlier. I've got loads of stuff on ebay, we've made quite a few trips to Oxfam and I was planning a yard sale for the rest but it won't stop raining! Great idea to cordon off a room with your luggage, I have nightmares about all our stuff disappearing for eight weeks! ,

Oh Boy, I'll be the one growling over a meagre pile of suitcases and documents soon.
    I'm about to write the cheque and set the date in stone . . . .

Question: If you leave tea n biscuits out and a cleaning kit will they pack that too?

If you leave tea n biscuits out and a cleaning kit will they pack that too?
    Quite likely. I think some movers go onto automatic pilot: if it's moveable, in it goes. Even if they've been TOLD certain things are to stay. Even in the face of all common sense. Even if it's got a big red label on. Even if it's a stinking rubbish bag. You need eyes everywhere!

WE cordoned off a room and left everything in there which we needed and were taking with us and did not want to go.

Each morning all the things that had migrated to other areas of the house overnight were put back in the room early, before the packers appeared eg boys's toys and laptops.

Ours were a bit more sensible than the usual domestic packers and gave us time to clean things before they packed (eg fridge), did not pack rubbish...but did pack my loo roll...which I discovered when on my own in the house and in dire necessity...luckily a comment on facebook had a neighbour rushing to my rescue

Tea mugs etc were packed last and they left the cleaning stuff behind because it was liquid and they did not want to risk spillages. So I was happy!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShineyPeople View Post
    Our shippers arrive in two days time, so we have all that joy to come! Right now I'm desperately trying to get rid of the stuff we don't want to take (haven't room for!) and wishing I'd started this earlier. I've got loads of stuff on ebay, we've made quite a few trips to Oxfam and I was planning a yard sale for the rest but it won't stop raining! Great idea to cordon off a room with your luggage, I have nightmares about all our stuff disappearing for eight weeks! ,
    Shiny get onto Freecycle and get rid that way. They come like locusts too if its free LOL xx