Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? ("reward" flight dilemma)

Default What would you do? ("reward" flight dilemma)

My brother is a maestro of reward flights, with a respectable number of "miles" in various air alliance kitties - so this is all his fault, because he encouraged me to save them too

We have enough points to get us from London to Sydney, paying only taxes... but only if we wait until mid/late-November or after Christmas.

Or we could pay for our flights (like most sensible immigrants), and arrive in mid/late-October. The points could then be saved for another holiday, say a trip to Sydney in 2011 (why yes, I have been looking up availability already).

Plan B would cost us more wonga, to the tune of £2k, but would also get us to NZ quicker (whee!), hopefully before things properly start to wind down before the Summer/Xmas/New Year national semi-closedown and we'd even get a bigger baggage allowance!!

But it would cost more money, and am I over-paranoid about job/housing opportunities if we head over in Nov/Dec instead of Oct?

Answers on a postcard....?

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post

Answers on a postcard....?
    Plan B

When I was on my recce (Nov/Dec), I was told consistently that hiring season began in 2nd Quarter. Little to no hiring happens at year end, what with Christmas and holidays and such.

Year by year, I've heard from my son how EVERYTHING is closed down or on dead slow over Christmas and all through January. Not that we want to lose you or anything, but...

hmm, I'd probably wait, take the free flights & keep the cash.

Plan B

I think plan B but only if you've got enough other savings, not if you're doing it on a shoestring and that's the last of your cash. It's nice to have a break to Oz to focus on during your first winter here (we did!).

I would vote for Plan B, Sophie, unless it is going to leave you seriously short. You may end up as much out of pocket if it takes you a while to find a house/job when you arrive. However there is a certain amount of luck in it and being in the right place at the right time....

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    I would vote for Plan B, Sophie, unless it is going to leave you seriously short. You may end up as much out of pocket if it takes you a while to find a house/job when you arrive. However there is a certain amount of luck in it and being in the right place at the right time....
    I know what you mean Mamee, and being usually fairly practical (at least when it comes to money) rather than impatient (which is usually hubby's role), I've added up the pros and cons and it boils down to this:

Plan A - going in Nov
    • We'd save £2k on flights
    • Earn a further ~£2k by working here for another month.
    • 5-night hol in Sydney would cost £1-1.5k (depending on how fancy the accommodation is).
    • 23kg baggage allowance each.
    • Container would go early Oct, arrive sometime before Christmas??
    • Live with my parents for a few weeks, giving them more DD time.
    • Poss organise a rental before we get there.
    • Apply for jobs for hubby from here while still working.

Plan B - going in Oct
    • £2k for flights
    • No guaranteed income until...?
    • No Sydney holiday (except poss in 2011 via airmiles and $$$ for accom etc)
    • 30kg baggage allowance each.
    • Container would go early Oct, arrive sometime before Christmas??
    • Prob not have time to organise a rental before arrival --> live with MiL.
    • Apply for jobs there while twiddling our thumbs.

So now, thinking with my head rather than my heart, I've told hubby that I'll go along with leaving in Nov if we put our intensive eBaying/carbooting to one side for a while and concentrate instead on job applications and prospective letters.

I'm in the "Plan B" crowd

I was away on business when you got approved, so very very many congrats, Sophie, it's been a very long time coming! x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast