Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: What would you do? ("reward" flight dilemma)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poole, UK to Chch, NZ
    Posts
    2,064

    Default What would you do? ("reward" flight dilemma)

    My brother is a maestro of reward flights, with a respectable number of "miles" in various air alliance kitties - so this is all his fault, because he encouraged me to save them too

    We have enough points to get us from London to Sydney, paying only taxes... but only if we wait until mid/late-November or after Christmas.

    Or we could pay for our flights (like most sensible immigrants), and arrive in mid/late-October. The points could then be saved for another holiday, say a trip to Sydney in 2011 (why yes, I have been looking up availability already).

    Plan B would cost us more wonga, to the tune of 2k, but would also get us to NZ quicker (whee!), hopefully before things properly start to wind down before the Summer/Xmas/New Year national semi-closedown and we'd even get a bigger baggage allowance!!

    But it would cost more money, and am I over-paranoid about job/housing opportunities if we head over in Nov/Dec instead of Oct?

    Answers on a postcard....?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post

    Answers on a postcard....?
    Plan B

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    617

    Default

    When I was on my recce (Nov/Dec), I was told consistently that hiring season began in 2nd Quarter. Little to no hiring happens at year end, what with Christmas and holidays and such.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36,408

    Default

    Year by year, I've heard from my son how EVERYTHING is closed down or on dead slow over Christmas and all through January. Not that we want to lose you or anything, but...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    in my own little world...
    Posts
    532

    Default

    hmm, I'd probably wait, take the free flights & keep the cash.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cochin --> Auckland
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Plan B

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    I think plan B but only if you've got enough other savings, not if you're doing it on a shoestring and that's the last of your cash. It's nice to have a break to Oz to focus on during your first winter here (we did!).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Christchurch from Scotland
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    I would vote for Plan B, Sophie, unless it is going to leave you seriously short. You may end up as much out of pocket if it takes you a while to find a house/job when you arrive. However there is a certain amount of luck in it and being in the right place at the right time....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Poole, UK to Chch, NZ
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    I would vote for Plan B, Sophie, unless it is going to leave you seriously short. You may end up as much out of pocket if it takes you a while to find a house/job when you arrive. However there is a certain amount of luck in it and being in the right place at the right time....
    I know what you mean Mamee, and being usually fairly practical (at least when it comes to money) rather than impatient (which is usually hubby's role), I've added up the pros and cons and it boils down to this:

    Plan A - going in Nov
    • We'd save 2k on flights
    • Earn a further ~2k by working here for another month.
    • 5-night hol in Sydney would cost 1-1.5k (depending on how fancy the accommodation is).
    • 23kg baggage allowance each.
    • Container would go early Oct, arrive sometime before Christmas??
    • Live with my parents for a few weeks, giving them more DD time.
    • Poss organise a rental before we get there.
    • Apply for jobs for hubby from here while still working.


    Plan B - going in Oct
    • 2k for flights
    • No guaranteed income until...?
    • No Sydney holiday (except poss in 2011 via airmiles and $$$ for accom etc)
    • 30kg baggage allowance each.
    • Container would go early Oct, arrive sometime before Christmas??
    • Prob not have time to organise a rental before arrival --> live with MiL.
    • Apply for jobs there while twiddling our thumbs.


    So now, thinking with my head rather than my heart, I've told hubby that I'll go along with leaving in Nov if we put our intensive eBaying/carbooting to one side for a while and concentrate instead on job applications and prospective letters.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    I'm in the "Plan B" crowd

    I was away on business when you got approved, so very very many congrats, Sophie, it's been a very long time coming! x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •