Thread: Prices of a holiday in Ozzie

Default Prices of a holiday in Ozzie

Been in NZ for 6 years, we've seen quite a bit of North and South Island, the kids have grown up a bit (13 and 14) so we feel ready for an overseas holiday.
    As we are a family of 4 and the kids count as adults for flight tickets we thought we'd keep it simple and go for a holiday next door (Australia). After looking at flight tickets ($2100 return with Jetstar for 4 people), accommodation for about 10 days (about $3000 in a holiday park cabin) and adding $2000 spending money not counting food (as we would have to eat if we stayed home as well)
    it all adds up to $7100 !!!! For a simple holiday to Ozzie! Am I looking in the wrong place?? We used to go to France for 2 weeks for $1500!!

thats the way it is im afraid. I have been told that there are sales on boxing day for hols. take a look on websites for trips to the islands and look at booking direct for accommodation and haggling. We went to Rarotonga and hammered the villa price down from 660 a night to 300.

Which part of Oz are you thinking of going to and what time of year, if it is the school hols then the price is steeper.

Ian

We're currently booking a holiday in Oz and finding that virtually every hotel or transport booking is having a 2% credit card surcharge added at source. That's in addition to the conversion fee our bank charges. Ouch!

Sounds about right, we got jetstar flights for $1500, earlier you book the cheaper. 2 bed apartment $3k for 8 nights. Theme park tickets are $99/$69 at the mo. We will be eating at the apartment a lot. Car hire, shopped around. We are going 2nd Oct, the aussies will be back at school so should be a bit quieter, but we have paid for going during NZ hols.

You could always do a house swap so no accomadation prices? $ 85 dollars to join, then can do as many as you can arrange in 1 year.

http://www.aussiehouseswap.com.au/

Why not!!??

We managed to get Australian rellies who are also generous enough to feed us and loan us wheels, but we still burn through a couple of thousand each time. Worth it though!

If you've got a reasonable home a house swap could be a great option, especially if you can get a car swap into the bargain.

Hmm, tie this thread in with my current dilemma and I'm even more tempted to just pay for flights to NZ and save the airmiles, because those points just happen to tally up to the "cost" of 3 CHC-SYD returns on Qantas.. I think I'll be noticing the cost more when earning the NZ$ as opposed to now on the UK£.

Liking the houseswap idea too, Carey - thank you!

Thanks for your input everyone and Carey I like the house swap idea as well!

We are looking at going in January, going to the Gold Coast (hoping to see the part between Brisbane and Sydney).