Thread: Food

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Food

We've got a long weekend stretched before us and I'm turning my mind to the shipping as the packers are coming on the 13th.

Has anybody taken food in their containers, and if so, what was OK? Tinned/dried goods I'm guessing?

You will have to declare your food, and personally I wouldn't think it was worth the hassle. You really can get everything you could ever want to eat here in New Zealand. And more! The food can be fantastic! Fresh fish, fruit and vegetables etc. Yes, it may be a bit more expensive but what you need to do is enjoy your last few days in your old home and catch up with everyone you are not going to be seeing for a while. Don't get stressed about shopping! Have a good journey to Wellington! It's great here!

There are some old threads on this, and there's a link to the MAF site, too. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-13085.html (and this even older one) http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-4292.html

Hi Manks!
    Our container is on its way and after doing some research on the forum, we decided to bring about one to two boxes of certain types of dried/packaged foods. Everything we decided to bring was sealed in plastic or UNOPENED box from the store and we declared the boxes they are in for MAF to look at. The movers didn't want to pack it, but we insisted. We figured worst case scenario they would throw away some of it.
    I agree that NZ has everything but there are things that they DONT have (now that I live here, I know!). Nothing major, just things we like and know we can't replace here. I don't think i would shed a tear if they destroyed both of our boxes! I've been without my food goodies for 3 months and I can definitely live without!
    I will be able to let you know for sure what happened when our container arrives in 4 weeks.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Thanks. I think the fact that I've got boxes of unopened pasta in the cupboard makes me feel it would be a waste to ditch it all! I've also got unopened tea bags and coffee that I'd like to bring, but not much else. I think we'll risk these.

That would be good. I have lots of emergency food storage (dried / freeze-dried, etc.). I'd hate to lose that. It's a pretty big investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    Thanks. I think the fact that I've got boxes of unopened pasta in the cupboard makes me feel it would be a waste to ditch it all! I've also got unopened tea bags and coffee that I'd like to bring, but not much else. I think we'll risk these.
    you dont have to waste it.. we gave food stuff to friends and family.

you have to weigh up the cost, as you pay MAF for each box they have to open. so while you think you could be saving money bringing over some food, the fact you have to declare it and get it inspected may mean you are out of pocket in the long run