Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Double Glazing & Central Heating

Are de-humidifiers easy to get in NZ? Are they expensive?

As many have said, if it was 'just' the cold they I could accept it, but it's the health aspect that worries me. My childhood was spend in a house with heating that was rarely on, and subsequently out of 4 children 2 of us have asthma and any cold I get goes straight to my lungs ending up with broncheal problems. I feel (but no, I'm not bitter ..... ) that this was wholly due to a cold, unheated house with ice on the inside of the windows throughout winter. Added to this the absence of luxuries like a tumble dryer so all clothes for a family of 6 being air dried all the time. I would not like my children to have to suffer this as well.

Are de-hums easy/cheap to get hold of, or should it be considered on the list of things to bring with us?

Driver - I'm sure the ex-pats would keep you busy for years

Thanks,

Emily

Default De-Hums

Are de-hums easy/cheap to get hold of, or should it be considered on the list of things to bring with us?
    Easy to get, yep, every Warehouse / DIY shop has a huge section of them, you can get them everywhere. Everyone I've spoken to here, has at least 1 Dehum.

Cheap, all depends, like so many other things in life, you get what you pay for. You can buy one for $200, or you buy one for $2,000. Or anywhere in between. Price seems to be related, to capacity and strength. There are also a lot of them on trademe.co.nz

Thanks.

Emily

Yes there is a good selection of de-hums in NZ, but from our experience you get what you pay for.

We researched the market and decided to buy a Mitsubishi. There are several models available with the only real difference being the extraction rate. The higher the extraction rate the more they cost.

We went for a 26 litre extraction rate and find is is great in our 3 bedroom house. Mitsubishi have a readout display which shows the percentage of humidity. We therefore know at a glance what the humidty level is and how much is drops. It also has a mildew guard setting and a laundry setting which is great for airing and drying clothing.

As we said they are not the cheapest de-hums. The model we bought retails at $899, but can be picked up for $799. Well worth every cent.

Pam & Dave

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456