Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offer of accomadation in Christchurch

What wonderful people you both are, offering your homes, that's awesome!

so nice..

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Just got back on line and will get round to catching up on the "Shake" threads.

No damage here and have got 2 spare rooms with power and water, so if anyone in the area needs a roof over their heads for a while whilst we all get sorted drop us a pm
    Back on line again and this offer still stands

Quote Originally Posted by benandclare View Post
    Back on line again and this offer still stands
    Good to read that you are well!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Glad to hear you're well benandclare and good on you for your support.

First house guests from Chch arrive in about an hour

We have space for people too, though closer to the city (halswell). House is fine and we have plenty of food and water

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    we have plenty ... water
    Good

How come? All the reports say there is a huge problem with both water and waste water.

Do you have a pool?

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    How come? All the reports say there is a huge problem with both water and waste water.

Do you have a pool?
    I wish! That would be fabulous about now, depending on the level of chlorine

Nah, it's just that we're in the portion of Halswell that hasn't been badly affected at all (other parts - like the domain - are a puddle of silt and water).

Power and water never went off, and New World is still open. We do have to boil the water, but doing fine on that so far, and the first thing hubby did when he came back after the quake was fill up as many containers as he could with water. Given that he loves to homebrew and has a dozen demijons, plus a few 5 gallon tubs... that's a lot of water We're also collecting rainwater, and his boss near Lincoln has said we can collect some of his borewater if we need to.

The biggest problem is wastewater, and after the Deputy Mayor's latest speech we're debating whether to dig a big hole in the garden. We're being as sensible as we can, but at some point it's going to turn into a very solid question. Um.

(hubby is also making suggestions that DD and I should go down to his dad's in Dunedin.. but not that keen meself)

I thought I'd make the offer of beds anyway though, as not everyone will want to leave the area. Ben & Clare's might be a better bet - further out than us and maybe fewer waste probs? - but it's nice to feel like I'm at least putting an offer of assistance out.

The advice to stay home makes you feel REALLY USELESS, and while I've been baking and slow-cooking all day.. I have no idea who to give the food to or how. If MiL's partner goes back into work tomorrow (St John comms staff, though most of them have been deployed to Akl or Wlg because their building fell down), I'll send him in with a load of chilli and cakes..

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    The advice to stay home makes you feel REALLY USELESS, and while I've been baking and slow-cooking all day.. I have no idea who to give the food to or how. If MiL's partner goes back into work tomorrow (St John comms staff, though most of them have been deployed to Akl or Wlg because their building fell down), I'll send him in with a load of chilli and cakes..
    Find anyone in an army uniform and they will eat anything you bring. They are likely eating army pre-packaged rations which are not exactly tasty from my previous experiences.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast