Thread: Amazon in NZ

Default Amazon in NZ

Would anyone like to share there experiences of buying of Amazon for delivery to NZ. I had wanted to get a new Ipod before we go over in a few weeks but unfortunately they didn't upgrade the size on the touch, as I wanted 160gb or more so am now stuck with the classic.

If I buy it over here (UK) its £176 which equates to NZD374 on today's exchange.
    If I wait until after I go and buy from .com (US) its $176 which equates to NZD310.

The major benefit for the US version is that its not restricted to EU volume capping and as such has a better quality sounding which is why I'm considering waiting - but will they charge me import duty for NZ delivery? also unsure as to returns policy

Any thoughts/ comments on Amazon would be appreciated or if any better stores out there?

I don't think Amazon delivers electronics to NZ, with the exception of the new Kindle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Starkus71 View Post
    The major benefit for the US version is that its not restricted to EU volume capping and as such has a better quality sounding which is why I'm considering waiting - but will they charge me import duty for NZ delivery? also unsure as to returns policy
    The cap is very easy to remove:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Unlock-iPod-Volume-Limit

Not sure how it effects the sound quality, I don't think the iPod frequency curve isn't without distortions at high volumes.

US is typically less expensive than rest of the world for Apple products, although adding the local sales tax makes the difference a little bit smaller. The currency exchange rates change the picture a lot, for example '09 spring New Zealand was one of the cheapest places for Apple products in the world. UK was pretty cheap for a while as well.

In addition to the US Hong Kong is relatively safe bet for a good buy. The base prices are similar to the US and they don't have a sales tax / VAT / GST. For example right now 32G iPod Touch is 309€ (HK) vs. 310€ (US w/o sales tax) vs. 364€ (NZ) vs. 394€ (UK) vs. 399€ (DE). Prices from Apple Store and currency translated with Google (xxx IN EUR).

I hope you're factoring the cost of shipping in all the examples. Quite often the $20 or $30 cost to post office vanishes all the savings by buying local.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    I hope you're factoring the cost of shipping in all the examples. Quite often the $20 or $30 cost to post office vanishes all the savings by buying local.
    Not to mention the import duty...

You only pay import duty if it is more than $50.

As noted above, I think you may not make significant savings due to duty, shipping, and insurance, unless of course if you are a licensed/authorized buyer or importer. I found with branded cameras (mid price range), there were minimal savings for private buyers. I think branded items are price fixed globally, except for watches (have got them cheap from ebay at around 60 % off NZ prices).

For shipping, and if Amazon cannot ship directly to NZ - their are options - Use a third party (at a cost) such as shipbuktu - basically they reship to NZ, from their US postal location (but not sure if they are still operating fully). Need to check. I have come across other redirect shipping online companies that can reship...such as the virtual cousins approach described at digital inspiration or Bongo described at lifehacker...

if you are flying via the UK then dixons travel in the dutyfree area of the aiport is probably a good bet. I think you can even order stuff in advance to pick up when you are there.