Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Build.

Default Self Build.

In the UK it is considered fiscally prudent to build your own house.

What is the call in NZ? I expect location will play a part however, I suspect pretty much the same as UK, all relative.

Is it easy to purchase land?

Anyone any idea of build costs, normally costed at m2.

Anyone any experience of the process.

Grateful as always for any info.

There are many previous threads on this matter - a search will bring them up. Try the Google Advanced search, if the site's own doesn't give you much of a range.

I'd say yes no problem.

If you've done it in the UK you'll probably find it frustrating here at times with the difference in build techniques and red tape.

We used an independent builder and I, Ben , was pretty hands on when it came to the construction phase and loved it. had some building experience from my agricultural background.

Easy to buy land and by using a builder/building company you can pay anywhere between $900 and $2000 per Sqm

Easy to buy land and by using a builder/building company you can pay anywhere between $900 and $2000 per Sqm
    With the recent quakes around Christchurch (if you're planning to move here), I would be very careful on what land you intend to build on. Right now real estate agents are held up between lawyer disputes as buyers are realising the property they want to buy may of been damage by the earthquake. There's also the issue of being able to insure the house you build as insurance companies want seismic reports of the land.

Expect more disputes between the insurance companies and the victims of the earthquake damage.

hi liam
    i live in taupo did you build
    i build in the uk manage and build 80percent my self but i would like to build in nz now any ideas I'm not interested in pay a kiwi builder to do all the work i want to do a self build like i do in the uk cheer john

In the UK it is considered fiscally prudent to build your own house.

What is the call in NZ? I expect location will play a part however, I suspect pretty much the same as UK, all relative.
    It depends on which local you live in NZ. For eg. in Christchurch, CCC can allow an owner builder to conduct the work however, the process is not straight forward. You will be require to involve your lawyer and sign a bunch of paperwork so CCC isn't liable. Also, building yourself does not preclude you to avoid safety. The reason for contracting a builder is so they have insurance liability. If you neglect the safety and attempt to build yourself, and you use people who are not experts in the area of building, you will take on a huge risk of being sued if something goes wrong.

Then there's the other issue of compliance. Who will you find that will vouch for the work done in the house? A registered plumber or electrician isn't going to sign off the work a home owner does for the sole reason to cut their profit. If CCC inspectors don't see the right signed paperwork, then the house gets no code of compliance which means the house can't be insured. A non-insurable house means no bank will mortgage loan to the new buyer.

If you want to self-build, you may want to consider kitset houses. Those companies will be familiar with building codes and requirements in that particular region of NZ. In Auckland, self-building is not recommended and those who do so have to be qualified and licensed. Even then there may be more hoops to jump through than engaging a licensed builder. The department of building and housing DBH would answer some of the questions you have about building codes and costs.

Generally it is not difficult to buy land in NZ (even rural) provided you are a resident or citizen.

Please consider the high costs of building material. Paint, screws, wallpaper etc. etc. all overpriced here. That sums up! I would buy a house with good bones (hardwood flooring, good windows and roof) and go from there. New houses built in NZ are mediocre compared to Europe. I you know how an Irish Cottage looked in the Eighties you get an impression on average NZ housing. Tradesmen are ridiculously expensive even without proof of competence. Laying down floor and tiling is very expensive as well. You see later. Due to a lack of competition like in Europe you are bound to live with that.

If you want to self-build, you may want to consider kitset houses. Those companies will be familiar with building codes and requirements in that particular region of NZ.
    A kitset house is far from being a self build and they do not go under the NZ 'acceptable solutions' building code NZ3604. The ONLY way builders are able to import such housing (ie SIP, windows, vapour barriers, etc) from overseas and have them built in NZ is due to engineering compliance by a person in NZ. Basically they have an engineer that is familiar with that kind of kit set and is able to provide a "producer's statement". Furthermore, the type of building will fall under the category "Alternative Building Solutions"

In Auckland, self-building is not recommended and those who do so have to be qualified and licensed.
    Just to clarify, the land owner attempting to build only faces 1 thing. That is the building work done must be accomplished to building code standards. There is no law that stops any person from building. However, achieving code of compliance can only be achieved if ALL work is signed off to have met the building code standards. As I posted before, a DIY person with no background in plumbing, decides to do the plumbing in the house, but where would he find a registered plumber to inspect and vouch all the work is done to code? Certainly in rural places this may not be the case where local inspectors can see it as sufficient.
    Last edited by Super_BQ; 22nd September 2014 at 11:09 PM.

Please consider the high costs of building material.
    High cost for building materials and labour is acceptable due to NZ's remoteness to the rest of the world. I highly doubt this will change because NZ doesn't have the population to warrant any real benefit from economies of scale.

New houses built in NZ are mediocre compared to Europe.
    While this is true if you compare on a like for like basis, it is clear that NZ's climate is very different to the climate in Europe. I've mentioned in other threads that new houses built in NZ are a considerable improvement over older houses built 30 or 50 years ago. It's not an issue about 'good bones' - in fact many of the older building techniques in old houses are not approved under current earthquake standards.

I've been over the subject of modern builders (which are more of 'assemblers') vs old builder that would build a house out of lifts of timber - piece by piece. Neither method gives a better house. In fact last week I was at a open home nearby and the realator (Brian Buckingham of Holmwood Harcourts) had no idea what he was speaking about "high spec" and informed me the owner built the house piece by piece (no pre-fab pre-nailed timber framing was used). While his exact words were "It's the only way to build a house" - I was quick at pointing out what a higher standard should look like. I asked if there were construction photos to prove his statement was true? I explained around the kitchen island that high spec would have no joins across the front panel of the island (instead of using 2 or 3 pieces butted up to make a continuous long piece). High spec doesn't mean having a granite top or stainless steel appliances.

If there's any issue of buying a house - be sure to closely inspect houses built around 1998 - 2004 as houses during that time were allowed to be built without using treated timber. Futhermore there were a lack of detail to flashings and the rise of new cladding methods such as the EIFS cavityless direct fix cladding where only the coat of paint was responsible for keeping the water and moisture out. While all the new houses being built today may look boring, 1 thing certain is they will not fall in the mistakes of leaky house syndrome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast