Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you store bread?

Default How do you store bread?

Having been here 2 weeks and having a loaf of bread and a package of crumpets become moldy in a matter of minutes, well ok, days, how do people store them here?

I remember when I was a kid in the states my grandma had a bread box but I thought that was to keep moisture in and prevent breads from becoming hard.

Advice and help would be great. Is this usually a problem or is it just becuase we have had so much rain? I am currently just storing them in a cupboard. Should I be using the fridge?

We use the fridge

We buy Freya's Tuscan bread and it keeps beautifully in the freezer and thaws within a couple of hours and lasts a few days in the bread bin

My home made bread gets the Tupper ware box to live in, fridge helps too.
    Baking smaller loaves and freezing them works for me.

We refrigerate all bread products as they go mouldy so quickly here.

We buy bread on sale, freeze the extra, and keep the current loaf in the fridge. (Though I eat most of my bread as toast).

Yes it's a problem, I'm sure it's partly the climate but also that the bread is moist rubber, over-laden with yeast and sugar (here comes my bread rant, lol) and never seems to go stale before becoming mouldy. I freeze half straight out and keep the rest in the bag with the top tightly wound in a cool place- fridge in summer, breadbin or pantry in winter.

Oh damn, I was planning on making an insightful 1000th post and I got sidetracked into bread. Oh well, at least it wasn't a heat pump rant.

Shop bought bread is straight in the fridge but home made is great in my bread bin for ages, just goes to show the stuff that's in the shop bought stuff, plus I've seen it rise from 2 for $4 to 2 for $5

For those from N. America wondering why the bread in NZ doesn't last as long, it's because of the lack of preservatives and fortification. I say put it in the freezer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast