Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One for pet owners

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default One for pet owners

If you could, would you buy a job lot of e.g. Frontline to send in the container? Or is it reasonably priced in NZ?

I'm pretty sure it's illegal (but not 100%) to bring pet medications over.

OK! Glad I checked! Thanks dilanium

I've been looking up info to confirm that you can't import something like frontline, but I really can't find it. I just remember it being told to me. (Which is very possible). I would email customs to double check.

I can say it IS more expensive here (I pay about $40 (at a discounted rate) for 3 tubes of frontline (for medium sized dogs)).

Also- I would NOT send it in the container- I'm pretty sure the items are temperature sensitive and that a container would get too hot for them. Also I would be sure to check the expiry dates before bringing them. There's no point in bringing a bunch of flea control that won't do the job once you get here.

As a general aside- it is illegal to feed dogs raw sheep and beef here (I think it's technically just the offal though).
    Last edited by dilanium; 8th September 2010 at 08:24 AM.

We've been buying our pet meds from Australia because it's cheaper that the USA!

Like most meds, they have an expiration date, so it's best to buy them as needed IMHO.

Thanks Elgin. Maybe I can look into ordering from Oz instead?

Hi, Dilanium is right: the MAF inspectors were really strict about any animal medicines and said that importing any medicine that doesn't actually accompany the pet on its arrival is illegal. If your pet needs any medication, you're allowed to bring in a small quantinty of the medicine in question (I think for up to 3 months?), but you must apply a permit for it and the medication has to actually accompany the pet on arrival so that it can be checked. Anything else is a big no-no.

(We brought over 3 pets, 2 of which need medication on a daily basis so I went through the hassle).

We've never actually bothered using frontline to be honest.

It depends on the situation of your animals whether they need frontline or wormers in New Zealand. There are fleas here, one type of tick, and several types of worms.

If in question whether your animal's situation requires frontline or wormers ask your vet.

Not sure if it's the same in the US but in the UK you could pick up Frontline from any pet shop. This is not the case in NZ, officially you need a vet to provide it.

Some pet shops do appear to get around the rules somehow, so worth asking but be prepared to be disappointed.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast