Thread: Health and medication

Default Health and medication

Does anyone have experience on the medicals as far as if they care about any conditions you have had as long as they are being treated? Example:

I have high blood pressure, but with a simple small dose of medicine, my blood pressure has been fantastic for years.

Are they going to frown on medication more than the conditions they help prevent in the medicals?

xantius

There are many people on the forum who have passed the medical with pre-existing conditions under control in the way you describe. The underlying concern is not to allow someone into NZ with a problem which can be expected to cost the NZ health service more than $25,000.

Yes, I have similar concerns. I was very ill about 18 months ago, had abdominal surgery and a major infection. Apart from being with a "stable" abdominal hernia, I seem to be totally recovered, and NO other health problems. Recon I will be OK?

Hello and welcome.

The conditions which count as a no-no are in Appendix 10 of the NZIS operations manual (and yours isn't there). http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm

This is the form that has to be completed, partly by you and partly by the doctor at the medical. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...2EA/0/1007.pdf

And here's the Handbook for Medical Examiners, which tells the doctor what s/he's looking out for at each stage of the medical, and what s/he has to record. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

Hi xantius. Your condition is very similar to mine. I have marginally high BP (140/90 if untreated, andf normal if treated) and take Cardizem and Altace, which keeps the condition under control (I also have a couple other minor chronic issues, e.g., allergies, but nothing serious).

I had to go through the MA referral process, which held up my approval for about 7-8 months from what it would have been.

The issue (as JandM alluded) was cost, not the condition itself. My 2 meds are relatively expensive (as opposed to a simple diuretic), as are some of my other items.

Even so, the MA totally mis-priced the meds even for US costs. He estimated about US$6000, which of course would put me over the NZ lifetime cap of NZ$25,000 in about 3 years, and so would likely not have an acceptable standard of health.

That in mind, I got (through an attorney, as I did not want to blow my only chance) an NZ doctor to review my medical file and lab tests. He re-priced the meds based on NZ costs more accurately, coming up to about NZ$500 per year. Also, since Altace is not available in NZ, he recommended a substitute.

It took a couple more go-arounds with the MA to assure him there were no latent issues, but that did resolve the issue (and you can see below that I was approved just recently).

In my experience, and in those of others, the COs take a very mechanistic approach to medical issues, and can only refer to the MA and parrot back their response. The MAs take a very conservative view and seem to assume the worst case possibility, not just the issue now, but what it might imply to cost of health service in 10 or 20 years.

They cannot take into account that you would be working and covered by employer health insurance since, as a resident, you would be entitled to government provided care if you chose to use it.

So, given all that, if BP is your only issue, you might get a referral, but might not, depending on cost of meds. If you do, get your doctor to give very thorough answers to their requests, and to emphasize long-term issues (or hopefully lack thereof). We thought in answering the questions they asked, we would be sufficient, but it was only in going beyond the question (in round #3 or #4) and telling them there was absolutely nothing else to consider did it finally put the issue to bed.

By the way, thanks to those who gave me attorney referrals and to 72andsunny who helped me understand the cost of medicine in NZ.

Question Re testing the water

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello and welcome.

The conditions which count as a no-no are in Appendix 10 of the NZIS operations manual (and yours isn't there). http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm

This is the form that has to be completed, partly by you and partly by the doctor at the medical. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...2EA/0/1007.pdf

And here's the Handbook for Medical Examiners, which tells the doctor what s/he's looking out for at each stage of the medical, and what s/he has to record. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf
    Hi and thanks for your reply. Sorry not to reply earlier!
    I have now applied with a job offer, 160+ points, under the SMC and in area of long term skills shortage, well outside Auckland. Just heard that my medical has been referred, which my agent, who is very understanding about all my negative thoughts! and very reassuring, says is perfectly normal, as the case officers are not medically trained. He says I am in a very strong position. So I guess I must just get through the waiting somehow, and remain positive.
    My medical exam result was fine, apart, obviously from the episode of acute ill health, and one bout of depression following that which is completely resolved. I take no medication and am fully able to carry out my work. I have never made any benefit claims and have had experience of running my own business, which I hope to do again at some point after settling in NZ, if it happens.
    Does that seem pretty hopeful - guess I am being overly concerned?
    Any realistic encouragement gratefully received.