Thread: Confused by shippers

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Confused by shippers

Now, I've read an awful lot about MAF inspections on here (haven't we all!) but I seem to be getting a conflicting story from my shipper's relocation consultant. This is her email:

IF MAF wants to physically inspect anything in your shipment, it has been my experience that it is performed at a bonded warehouse at the port of entry. I can not say if they do inspections at residence, but it doesn't make much sense because they want to quarantine and keep insects out of the country. If they allowed you to take questionable boxes home then what is to say that you wouldn't use the items and spread any possible contaminants.

Fumigation is more common and doesn't always require physical inspection first. If there are bikes, camping equipment, garden tools, etc. Often MAF will order the whole shipment fumigated rather than go through and pick out specific boxes. I have not had an extensive physical inspection on a shipment to NZ in over a year, most shipments were fumigated.
    Really? Can people comment on their experiences as this doesn't tally with what I read on here...

Have a look here http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....059#post374059

One of my posts reads:
    "Our container arrived in 2006 and got completely fumigated!
    In addition the inspector had a look on our wicker baskets and our son's drum set. "

Both times we had shipments, the container was unpacked at our house, and the items MAF wanted to inspect put to one side and left sealed. MAF came to the house, and had a look. Where necessary (bikes and BBQ) they sprayed what looked like normal bug spray - in fact they found a small spider that had stowed away in the BBQ that had survived the 3 months shipping in a sealed box.....and killed it - poor little thing!

MAF have a whole schedule of travel costs away from the ports for their inspectors so I am surpirsed yuor shippers don't know they can and do inspect at the home!

Pickfords NZ told us that they would normally inspect the container at our house but as they could not get the container near the house they unpacked the container at the pickfords warehouse, MAF inspected it (and we were lucky recipients of a random customs super-inspection at the same time where they opened every 3rd box or so!), and then delivered in a small moving truck to the house. Our lawnmower was taken away for steam cleaning (NZ$50) but everything else was fine.

Our container was inspected & 'de-vanned' at the port before being delivered to our house but we had a delay* after the arrival of our container which meant it was in storage for about 3wks.

I thought MAF had changed the inspection procedure last year & now required containters to be inspected at a transitional facility, but I'm not 100% sure if that applies only to commerical containers. Have a look at the Biosecurity info: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/files...ed-to-know.pdf

*1 delay was at our request & 2nd delay was due to rain making the road from Nelson too dangerous for the truck.

I found that page, too, lin, and wasn't sure what to make of it. Manks, I think in your shoes, I would contact MAF directly, and ask THEM what they now do with a private person's container - it'd strengthen your hand in all dealings with the shippers.

Ours contained a car, which we knew meant that it would be removed at the depot. It was unpacked there and MAF went through the packing list before arrival and chose their 47 boxes/packages for inspection, all of which was done at the bonded warehouse, prior to being delivered to the house. All 47 packages selected had been opened and resealed (with MAF tape) prior to their arrival at the house, in a removal wagon.

I asked the shipping agent in NZ if I could be present at the inspection which was done at the bonded warehouse that my goods were delivered to and then transferred to a van for delivery. Had an interesting chat with the MAF inspector and because I had seen exactly what he inspected, I was able to discuss the invoice directly with the shipping agents (NZVL).

We went through the same as Jan (Wooly_Cow) - our container was delivered to the house after customs clearance, and our unpacking crew was given a list of packages to put to one side, then MAF came out 2 days later and looked at ... our bookshelves ...

They also vacuumed our tent.

It was all a bit weird and the guy who came out really didn't know why our shelves had been put to one side, but it was for the possibility of insects in the wood. None found, and $450 later, we were all cleared.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Lin - my shipper actually forwarded that document to me. On the first page it says food items are prohibited and the second page says food items should be declared! Talk about contradictory.

JandM I think I'll go ahead and email MAF anyway as I have a couple of questions. Thanks