Thread: Another reason NOT to fly via the US

Default Another reason NOT to fly via the US

I know this has been mentioned in passing before but the US have just added a $19 charge for getting an ESTA, which everyone needs, even if they are just transiting the US.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/intern...ee-to-visit-US

So now you have to pay $19 to wait in a line, get bullied, if you are lucky made to fill in the form again, sent back to the end of the queue, bullied again, have your personal details taken like a criminal, if you are even luckier body searched or have your children interogated, then wait in a dark almost windowless lounge, and get back on the plane swearing to everything you believe in never to visit the US.......at least the flavourless apples (one of which you forget you put in your bag and get a $400 fine in Auckland!) and coffee coloured water is free....no wait it isn't it just cost you $19!

I can hear the Thai, Chinese, and Singaporean laughter from here!

*fondles Singapore Airlines ticket*

Narita is a nice airport for a plane change too

petri was posted this ESTA price fee in another thread. I myself renewed it 2 weeks ago just before the fee was put in. Thumbs up for petri! for at least the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    petri was posted this ESTA price fee in another thread. I myself renewed it 2 weeks ago just before the fee was put in. Thumbs up for petri! for at least the next 2 years.
    To be fair, Jo Jo posted the details first, petri posted a reminder.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30707

Ian

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

As an "alien" living in the US I have to say that the Immigration officials do seem to be getting more human lately. I don't know if there has been a specific push to make the process less intimidating/painful, but I have flown into the US about 7 times this year and have had no trouble at all. Admittedly I have flown into Boston every time and that may be a particularly friendly airport - although you speak to Americans and New Englanders are supposedly the most unfriendly bunch of people around! In theory, ESTA should make their jobs easier and therefore they should be more friendly!

When I first moved over here 2.5 years ago, I was grilled every time I came into the country - who did I work for, where, how long, etc etc. Nowadays they are nowhere near as nosy